tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I'm having the problem that alot of people are having. Everything powers up for 30 seconds then shuts off and starts over. Monitor stays black. I am gonna try today to get some different ram from a buddy.

But my question is, I've read some of these threads that say everything works with their OCZ ram it just says its 667, so whats the deal?

But my question is, I've read some of these threads that say everything works with their OCZ ram it just says its 667, so whats the deal?

I assume you mean that your OCZ DDR2 800 RAM shows up as 667. It's just a BIOS glitch. My Corsair XMS DDR2 667 is recognized by the BIOS as 533. No big deal, I just bumped up the FSB from 266 to 333 while keeping the Memory Divider at 1:1.

Works like a charm for me. So simply bump up the FSB from 333 to 400 and keep the Memory Divider at 1:1.

tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
1. I connected everything and turn the computer on :: All of the fans and LED's turn on, on the vid card too but the screen shows nothing. In fact it stays in power save mode:: No beeps at all, and the 4 LED's on the USB panel light up saying there is a problem reading the memory(1.Red 2.Green 3.Red 4.Red):: It stays like this for a little bit and then everything shuts off for a couple seconds and starts over again.(I've seen this problem before)

2. I disconnected everything except the vid card and the processor and turn the computer on again (once with no ram, once with 1 stick of ram) :: Same problem, no beeps nothing.

So right now I am thinking that there is no way I am going to get this to work. But I don't know what exactly is the problem. I have read people saying that their 975x platinum only misreads the ram and I have read people haveing the same problem as me, which seems odd.

C2D E6400
MSI 975x v2
OCZ platium rev. 2 pc6400
430W TT powersupply 18A under 12V

The point I am at right now is deciding whether to send back the ram or the mobo. The lack of beeps in scenario 2 makes me think it could be a problem with the motherboard, but the abundance of OCZ/MSI problems makes me want to just get different ram (brand/speed) And the fact that some people can get their OCZ 800mhz ram to run but read different just makes me want to throw the whole thing through the window.

You problems seems quite odd. Then again OCZ's RAM seems to be really spotty lately. I too was thinking about buying OCZ. But after reading about other people having problems with OCZ RAM and many different mobo brands, I decided to stick with my default choice, Corsair. Corsair may be expensive, but if I don't experience any problems then that extra $30 - $40 is worth it.

Do you have any other RAM or can you borrow any other RAM? You know just to rule out that it isn't the motherboard that is defective.

I've been helping people out with their 975X Platinum mobo (check out the other 975X specific links), and people seem to have the following issues:

1. Cannot run RAM at 400FSB - Since I'm only using DDR2 667 I'm only running with a FSB of 333MHz. I've pushed it as high as 365MHz (730MHz effective) with only a few tweaks before my rig locks up; 3.28GHz.

2. USB Port problems - Some people using USB keyboards have posted that they cannot use them to get into the BIOS. Their keyboards don't work until they get into Windows. Thus, they need to connect a PS2 keyboard to get into the BIOS.

I don't have this problem. I connected my Saitek Eclipse USB keyboard to all four USB ports and have been able to get into the BIOS every single time.

-------------

My 975X Platinum rig is not without it's problems though. SpeedStep doesn't work even when enabling the Speedstep options in the BIOS and using the proper power management settings. I think it's due to something going wrong during the Windows XP Pro install. I use a program called RMClock to enable CPU throttling.

RMClock is actually quite good because I can directly choose the max clock multiplier I want to use. As long as it's between 6 and 9. Only one other person seems to have this problem in MSI's official forums.

tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
None of my friends are adventerous enough to let me take their ram so whether the mobo is any good may have to remain a mystery. But i just hooked up an Asus p5b delux with the ocz ram and bios worked and XP almost got up and going.

Anybody have the corsair (6400) Model number that they can verify works? I think they have the twinxXXXX-6400* 6400C4* 6400PRO* and 6400C4PRO

I have to decide whether it would be better to get a new, more expensive board and use the ram or the other way around.

tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I just put one stick of pc5400 ram in my board and I got the same rolling restart issue with nothing on the screen. Is this a pretty clear sign that it is indeed a dead board?

alpeffers

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
eeep... I just bought said board and ram...
my ram is ocz gold xtc, however I am getting the EXACT same result... plug in the minimum to get to boot and nothing, soo i started unplugging, and same result.

on for a few seconds, then turns off, then it turns itself on again.
I saw on a forum(forgot which one) that flashing the bios should help(doubt it will do much).

I have eliminated all other components to either the RAM or mobo to have issues
if my friend who has some DDR2 and is willing to let me use his, i'll let you know if I'm able to get it to work, as there might still be hope for yours.

failing that I'm going back to Asus boards... teach me to listen to the review... :S

alpeffers

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
hmm well it booted now.... dunno what it was but flashing the cmos worked... i think... alls i know is that it's not rebooting itself now :\

now to load an OS... or two...

Several different mobos have had problems OCZ RAM recently. It's not a specific issue with the 975X Platinum.

I was lured by OCZ RAM because it was cheaper than Corsair. But eventually I decided to get Corsair because they have a solid track record.

tecnique

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
O.K. I brought it to a computer store and they stuck some cheap ram in the board and it fired up, quite possibly the best day of my life. I just ordered some Corsair xms2 DDRII-800 pc-6400. Anybody run it with this ram and can verify that it works?

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I just got the MSI 975X and i had OCZ DDR2 PLatium DDR800. And in the bios i cant put it at 800, only 880. Then i readed MSI forum and many people cant do it also, but some guys said that is OCZ problem and you can send your ram to OCZ to reprogram them and it would work. I think its because of the weird timing on the ram but returning the ram etc is a couple of problem, i think the best is to resell them and get better one.

Chrisb6122

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Strange problem indeed.

My rig 975X, E6400, 8800 GTX and 2 - 1*GB of OCZ Special edition DDR2 (400Mhz). had none of the issues being raised here,

Could be a problem with a batch issue maybe, either way good luck to you all getting it fixed.

I just got the MSI 975X and i had OCZ DDR2 PLatium DDR800. And in the bios i cant put it at 800, only 880. Then i readed MSI forum and many people cant do it also, but some guys said that is OCZ problem and you can send your ram to OCZ to reprogram them and it would work. I think its because of the weird timing on the ram but returning the ram etc is a couple of problem, i think the best is to resell them and get better one.

That seems very odd. So are you saying that when you enter 400 for the FSB, the BIOS would automatically change it to 440 so that you end up with 880MHz?

Yeah I would try to get a refund on your OCZ RAM or sell them to *ahem* some sucker. Get some good 'ol Corsair XMS DDR2 800 RAM. They are more expensive, but I never had any problems with their RAM.

jeffieboy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I've built 3 PC's with the 975X and OCZ PC2 5400 2 x 1024 RAM. Other than the one board that did not even POST, each setup experienced shutdowns, for several reasons: Most MSI MOBO's have the CPU fan socket near the upper right corner of the CPU so be careful. This board has the socket near the lower left corner. Use the wrong one and the board will power off on not sensing the fan running. Also watch out how you populate the RAM slots: use one each in each channel. Power supplies are the other problem. I bought a fancy case with a 500w p/s that didn't measure up to the specs printed on the label. If you are going to run two video cards with Crossfire, I suggest you buy at least a 600 watt p/s. The last thing is make sure that your CPU cooler is properly seated on the CPU. Use a quality thermal compound like Artic Silver Ceramique, and not the crap that comes with the heat sink. Reseating the cooler will also sometimes eliminate the shutdowns. My personal 975x is cruising along with an e6700 processor and the OCZ RAM. Has not been shut down for two months, voluntarily or otherwise.

Derek1387

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
when i flashed my bios with the new bios... it scared me about the new feature that when u changet he bios, it automatically shuts off and starts back up in order to ensure a proper OC.

Check the MSI website.. had to do some research. One thing that gets me though is when u do a manual restart... the computer doesnt restart... it goes into sleep mode...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I assume you mean that your OCZ DDR2 800 RAM shows up as 667. It's just a BIOS glitch. My Corsair XMS DDR2 667 is recognized by the BIOS as 533. No big deal, I just bumped up the FSB from 266 to 333 while keeping the Memory Divider at 1:1.

Works like a charm for me. So simply bump up the FSB from 333 to 400 and keep the Memory Divider at 1:1.

It's seriously unlikely a BIOS glitch that causes RAM to be detected at a lower speed. It's more likely that the RAM is actually configured by the manufacturer to run at the lower speed.

RAM has a little chip on it that says "Hey, I'm DDR2-533 CAS 4-4-4-12" and the motherboard sees that and uses it.

Why would RAM say it's slower? Because it's factory-overclocked RAM. That is to say, if your RAM says it's 667 on the sticker but tells BIOS its 533, it's more likely 533. With a factory overclock rating of 667.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
try running ti in non dual channel mode or with one one stick, because i know i have had a lot of different boards that just don't like dual channel