Question 98 Honda Accord v6 auto random no start ?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Have a 98 Honda Accord that I started to gave issues with about 2 months ago.
The first time the no start happened I had backed the car out to leave and remembered I needed to get something so turned the car off. Probably 10-15 seconds later I went to start the car again and nothing, not even a cranking noise, but lights, etc. work.

I first thought that maybe it was just the battery even though the no cranking at all made me think starter. I put the jumper pack on and let it sit. After a while I thought why not give the starter a rap with a small board. I did this and went to try the car. It started right up
I went ahead and replaced the battery as it was 7 yrs old. Drove the car with no issues until this past Tuesday.
Started up fine, and drove about 3-4 miles. Stopped and backed into a parking space to pick up something .

Got back into the car, and no start, but lights, etc. work. Put the jumper pack on briefly and then just decided to give the starter a tap again. Started right up and drove to work. After work car started right up again and went to get gas. After filling up, again no start, but lights, etc. working. Rapped starter with a hammer, and started right up.
I know at this point most of us would say it's the starter, and normally I would agree, but.... Every time this has occurred and I put the key in and turn to the on position the dash cluster for the gear shift shows it is in gear, even though I know, and the shifter lever on the floor shows in park... Could this be a relay or some other issue like a neutral safety switch or similar instead of or in addition to the starter?

Appreciate any ideas or advice on this. Thanks

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
sounds like a busted starter, usually problem with pinion assembly/solenoid or worn out commutator brushes, buy a new one or have the old one refurbished for a few bucks