Question 980 Pro M.2 SSD Issues

Dec 28, 2021
I just got this SSD and I popped it in as a secondary drive just for installing games. Everything seems to work at first and it lets me install games and everything but when I launch the game and it has to do any work to load the game it kinda locks up.

I can still navigate through it and all the folders in it but Samsung Magician stops being able to interact with it and it basically wont respoond to anything other than just navigating the folders.

I have tried formatting it and installing windows on it and running it with no other hard drives in but still had the same problem.

My mobo is the RoG Strix z390-e Gaming. I have the latest Bios, all drivers updated, turned off the power saving options including setting idle time to 0 for hard drives. I also returned the first SSD and got a new one just in case it was the problem and that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Do you have ANY problems with the PC at all if you remove this new drive?

Have you used an application such as Diskpart to completely wipe this new drive and start from scratch?

Have you run any type of diagnostic test (Samsung or other) to confirm that the drive is supposedly in good working order?

Dec 28, 2021
Samsung Magician says the drive is fine...I got 2 of them and have the exact same problem with each so I really don't think the drive is the problem at all but rather some sort of compatibility or setting

I took a quick look at Google regarding that drive.

Are you using Windows 11?

Have you run Crystal Disk Info on the drive?

Have you looked at Event Viewer?

Are there cache settings you can turn on or off, possibly in Device Manager?

Are you running the latest firmware on the drive?

Dec 28, 2021
Windows 10

https://pasteboard.co/gnBxQw682eeb.jpg There is the crystal disk info

The event viewer does have some errors... They do appear to line up with the drive issues...although could be because I have to force the computer to restart when it happens.
Event: 41
Source: Kernel-Power

There is an option in the drives properties to uncheck caching. I unchecked it and it didn't help.

Dec 28, 2021
So it looks like it eventually craps out when if I never run a game. I made a point of restarting the PC then leaving it and after a few hours, sure enough, the problems started even without running anything from the drive...