980 ti amp extreme for 340 or a 1070 for 380

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
1. Resolution ?

2. 1070 is 14% faster

3. 980 Ti (30+%) overclocks a lot better than the 1070 (18%) which leaves the 1070 w/ about a 3% edge
in performance.

4. The 1070 is more power efficient, quieter and throws less heat.

5. is it worth paying 29% more for a 3% performance advantage, lower heat, noise and power ? ... that one only you can decide :)

We are in violent agreement on the part in bold. As I have said, repeatedly, I would choose a new AIB 1070 at $100+ more. We also are in agreement that the 1070 is faster, quieter and more power efficient. Where we are apparently are not in agreement is that the 1070 AMP Extreme is worth more than the cheapest 1070 you can find.

Ignoring the other differences for the moment, 11.7% more cost for 3% more performance is obviously worth it you. The difference is, I don't know that it is worth it to the OP. I therefore am willing to let him / hert:

a) Decide if paying 11.7% more for 3% more performance is worth it to him / her
b) Decide whether lower temps, better efficiency (sound is comparable) have any value to him / her
c) Decide whether any of extra $65 worth of stuff you get in an AMP Extreme has any value to him / her

I have no horse in the race here. I don't need the validation of having someone make the same decision I would. Goal here is not to have OP do what I would do (AIB 1070), but to get the card the best fits his / her goals and budgetary limitations.

By all means let's stay away from common idioms used in intelligent discussion

Comparing apples to apples means comparing things that can reasonably be compared, while the phrase apples to oranges often is used to represent a comparison that is unreasonable or perhaps impossible.

The idiom, comparing apples and oranges, refers to the apparent differences between items which are popularly thought to be incomparable or incommensurable, such as apples and oranges. The idiom may also be used to indicate that a false analogy has been made between two items, such as where an apple is faulted for not being a good orange.

I'd prefer to escape the false equivalencies arguing against created strawmen so popular in our political landscape

Instead of resorting to personal attacks, why not try and explain your reasoning why the the 1070 AMP Extreme is just like any other 1070.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Op didn't mention a 1070 AMP extreme, prices were stated for 980Ti and a 1070 - if you can't stick to topic then maybe best if you didn't respond. You are the one that brought in a 1070 AMP extreme for whatever your reasons are - to rationalize your percentages perhaps that were totally off and were questioned. This is what you do, you say something, if it's wrong you argue and come up with rationalizations to back your incorrect statements - just like the mobo thread I mentioned - you say it's best rated - flat out. Then when pointed out that it isn't you rationalize -'it's in the same family' . It's rather pathetic. I'm quite serious about Bans

Again, the OP didn't mention any specific 1070 either. But, yet again, to make a comparison without a false equivalency, an assessment of the differences must be provided. As I said, repeatedly, comparing any old 1070 to a AMP Extreme us a false equivalency. Comparisons with a false equivalency and, by definition, false. Rather than tackle the impossible task of comparing the original two choices in an equivalent manner, I chose the next best alternative .... to show what the relative cost of two equivalently featured cards would be.

You keep trying to base your whole argument on "the OP didn't mention anything other than the two cards. Well apparently the OP was able to understand a false equivalency and liked the answer well enough to give it Best Answer

As I said....

.... comparing a reference 980 Ti and a reference 1070 is an "equivalent comparison"
.... comparing a 980 AMP Extreme and a 1070 AMP Extreme is an "equivalent comparison"

As no equivalent comparison could be made by the two options. The purpose of my 1st post was to:

a) explain why it was not an equivalent comparison, and
b) explain that the extra features of an extreme high end card have an intrinsic cost value
c) after showing the above, let the OP decide if the

No, my costs were in no way, shape or form "off" as I wasn't addressing the two cards OP listed. The costs were exactly as quoted from newegg of an equivalently featured card .... as I said, an apples and apples comparison. Go look yourself... the math works. To get a 1070 card, equivalent in extra features to the AMP Extreme, you would have to pay that amount.

I never said the OPs 1070.... one that can't be found on PCpartpicker BTW at that price .... was 29% more, that's your twist.... I said an equivalent aka apples and apples 1070 would cost that much. If you didn't interpret it that way, maybe I could have said it more clearly, maybe you could have interpreted it as intended. The fact is the math matches the cost o0f equivalently featured cards ... as was intended.

As for you family comment ... I guess, cause there's only 22 reviews the the Formula that comes w/o the game, we shouldn't look at the one that comes with the game which has 50 reviews to get a better idea.

ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA/WATCH DOGS EDITION (40% / 28% split)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132247

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII FORMULA Intel Z97 (55% / 15% egg split)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132264

The two Titanium designs are variations of the same design or what the industry calls a refresh or sibling. We have many Asus boards right now with revisions that made slightly changes such as changing USB ports. Is it your position that when Asus issues a board revision or otherwise makes a small change... the new board just came out and the old one is still or sale .... that the performance history and reliability is in no way comparable to the former ?

How about the three Asus Hero boards ...? Is there reason to infer that these 3 boards do not share many of the same design elements as their siblings ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=%2D1%7C13%2D132%2D565%5E13%2D132%2D565%2C13%2D132%2D855%5E13%2D132%2D855%2C13%2D132%2D699%5E13%2D132%2D699

It would be great if we had data available, for both boards but we didn't. In the absence of data it is by no means illogical to expect similar reliability when two designs so many of the same design elements. Is it 100% reliable, of course not ... is it a good bet ? Certainly.

If you take a 12 passenger van and stick in a smaller engine of the same design, less seats, shorten the length and 96% of everything else is exactly the same for your cheaper 8 passenger version, these is no reason to expect the maintenance cost to increase significantly. If you think differently, I'd ask that you explain your reasoning instead of always falling back on personal attacks.

https://www.techpowerup.com/222688/msi-announces-the-z170a-mpower-gaming-titanium
MSI announced its second Gaming Titanium socket LGA1151 motherboard after the Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium, the Z170A MPower Gaming Titanium. This board features a slightly lighter feature-set than its XPower sibling.

http://www.eteknix.com/msi-z170a-mpower-gaming-titanium/
Coming in as a lower end sibling to the Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium, the MPOWER variant still holds it own with a wide feature set.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2016/08/11/msi-z170a-mpower-gaming-titanium-review/1
.... yet everyone is releasing refreshed models ....

It's been a while since we've looked at a Z170 board, though, but MSI is clearly keen to bring its lavish Titanium brand to a slightly more affordable price bracket than the monstrous X99A XPOWER Titanium and more affordable Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium, which has seen a substantial price hike since we looked at it in October, and now costs nearly £250.

http://www.geeksultd.com/2016/05/msi-z170a-mpower-gaming-titanium-motherboard-announced-it-has-a-bbackplate-on-the-back/

After the Z170 XPower Gaming Titanium motherboard, MSI has announced its sibling, the Z170A MPower Gaming Titanium Motherboard.

The word siblings and refresh clearly indicate that the board makeup\ is very similar

a) Is it the omission of the RGB LED lighting and lighting software which will have a major impact on reliability ?

b) Is it the ommision of the WiFi chip which will have a major impact on reliability ?

c) is it the addition of more shrouds and slot reinforcing which will have a major impact on reliability ?

d) Is it the new USB 3.1 Type-C connector on the right of the PCB for connecting to case front panels plus a U.2 connector - both missing from the more expensive XPOWER version which will have a major impact on reliability ?

e) Is it the reduction in power phases from 16 to 11 which will have a major impact on reliability ? ... if you think it is is, how many Asus board in this price range have more phases ?

f) Both boards have titanium chokes, Dark CAPs, GUARD-PRO (a series of protections against undesirables such as ESD, humidity, and high temps), steel-reinforced PCIe slots ...

There's 4 sites calling it a sibling / refresh of the same board ..if you have references which go into detail as to why they are wrong and why we can expect this major shift in reliability, I'd be most anxious to see them. Always happy to learn something. Again, it would be more constructive if you could avoid the insults and personal attacks ... identify the design change \ differences that makes this refresh less reliable then it's sibling.

As for the ban threat ... what's the offense ? Disagreeing with you ? Meanwhile you get to habitually hurl insults left and right without consequence ?

bignastyid

Titan

Most of the posts after the intial few have been drifting off topic(especially that last long one) hence the general warning. Now lets end it there before I escalate to punitive measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.