980 x 2 SLI or 1080, which is better?

psychodins

Commendable
Jul 3, 2018
So with the price of GPU's at the moment I'm a little sceptical of upgrading. I'm considering buying a duplicate of my current GPU and running them in SLI as that would be the cheaper option, my current GPU is this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-Quieter-Graphics-04G-P4-2983-KR/dp/B00NT9UT3M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531841334&sr=8-2&keywords=evga+gtx+980+4gb+sc Would I be better of doing this or waiting for GPU prices to drop and buying something like a 1080 (p.s. Both of these options will require me to purchase a new PSU).

My Specs:
CPU: i7-7800X
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz
PSU: Corsair 450W
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Solution
It might be cheaper, but it's definitely not the better option. There are several reasons for that.

To start with, the system is going to use significantly more power with two top shelf cards than with one flagship model. No way in the world your system will run two 980's on a 450w power supply. In point of fact, there is no way you should be running one 980 on that PSU, especially given the probability that you're using a CX unit.

Recommended capacity for one 980, minimum, is 520w. For two the recommendation goes up to 750w. One 1080 only calls for a 520w unit, same as your current card. I'd definitely upgrade that power supply. I'm very surprised given your choice of card and cpu model you haven't had any random issues...
It might be cheaper, but it's definitely not the better option. There are several reasons for that.

To start with, the system is going to use significantly more power with two top shelf cards than with one flagship model. No way in the world your system will run two 980's on a 450w power supply. In point of fact, there is no way you should be running one 980 on that PSU, especially given the probability that you're using a CX unit.

Recommended capacity for one 980, minimum, is 520w. For two the recommendation goes up to 750w. One 1080 only calls for a 520w unit, same as your current card. I'd definitely upgrade that power supply. I'm very surprised given your choice of card and cpu model you haven't had any random issues and perhaps you have, and just didn't realize it. Either way, system will be far more reliable, run much quieter and last far longer with an adequate power supply. Don't skimp here, get a good unit.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Also, there are fewer and fewer game developers supporting multi-card configurations now. Very few games continue to have optimized SLI or Crossfire profiles and some do not support the configurations at all. Those that do, tend to run the gamut from very good scaling to very poor scaling, and from what I've seen more and more that do still support it are very much in the very poor scaling camp.

Going forward, it's probable that before long no games at all will support multi-card configurations with optimized profiles, so it's pointless to plan for use of them.

Solution
Yeah, a single GTX 1080 would likely provide better performance more consistently, and would only require about the same amount of power as your current card, due to it being built on a smaller, more efficient process node.

However, at this point, the GTX 1080 is over two years old, and Nvidia is expected to announce its successor around the end of next month. Unless you feel that you absolutely need a card right now, it might be worth waiting a bit. If prior generations are anything to go by, the upcoming 1180 will likely be faster than a 1080 Ti, and even the 1170 should be faster than a 1080.

There is always something better around the corner. Get what you need, if you need it, while you know what the market is doing. No telling when prices might drop though as there is now a glut compared to a few months back. Unless you're running a very high resolution monitor, or several gaming monitors, the 1080 or 1080 TI will likely max out practically any title you might play.

It could go either way. Prices might drop further though so waiting a month or so if possible might not be the worst idea ever.