9800 gt psu recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoxalkaid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
recently bought a EVGA e-GeForce 9800GT Akimbo 512MB DDR3 PCI Express (PCIe) Dual DVI Video Card w/TV-Out & HDCP Support motherboard sadly doesnt have a pcie 2.0 lane just a pcie x16 lane but my questions is will my psu support it(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026) i already know i need to upgrade it to at least a 500w or 550w psu but got any recommendations or do you think this will be enough for now.ps. i have 2 hard drives and an amd athlon ii x2 250 regor cpu.

haseoxalkaid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
im just a little paranoid cuz im still on my first pc build and still learning new things not to mention im on a tight budget so im not sure i can buy more parts if worst come to worst would underclocking the card save some power perhaps.

haseoxalkaid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
just curious btw if i installed this into my motherboard which has a pcie x16 slot its not a pcie 2.0 x16 slot could someone give me an idea what kind of performance it would run in my mobo i usually use hwcompare.com when trying to get a feel for the perfomance

The 9800GT comes in two versions, it either needs one connector or none. Even with a PSU with 2 connectors there would be no place to plug it into the card so it couldn't even theoretically affect overclocking. Even if you could plug it in the PCI-E slot and the first connector would provide up to 225w of power already. The 9800GT in all of its forms uses less than 100w so the GPU would basically burst into flames if you tried to give it an overclock that might need more power than one connector.

@OP: Get the CX430. It's a good brand and a great deal right now on newegg for $40 with free shipping, a $10 MIR and a $15 gift card for newegg. Makes the final price basically $15;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

It's amazing that people don't realize this.

Manufacturers reccomendation
"Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.)

An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130379

26 amps for 1 card , 28 amps for 2 should tell everyone something about how bloated the reccomendations are to begin with.

PS to all; OP's choice of power supply can theoretically power SLI with it's 28 amp rating

Underclocking does reduce power consumption of a card, but it reduces performance as well. Since you're going for a CX430, there isn't going to be a need for underclocking.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

You can underclock it, lowers temps and power. But then, like Gman450 says, it'll reduce performance as well. However you can always clock it back to stock levels again before you play games. Nvidia's system tools are a good way to do this. Use nTune to specify profiles and it'll change clock speeds according to user defined rules, like say, overclocking when you play a certain game but downclocking when you close it, or when you boot the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS