9800 gtx problem with mobo

jackyle

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I got a new Nvidia 9800 GTX, and installed it. When the PC boots up it shows the 9800 gtx, then when Vista boots it no longer recognizes it. I disabled the onboard video but no luck yet?

Please help.

Yes, it all loads normally. Except for the fact that it does not see the video card. It's bizzare bacause it is plugged into the GFX card. Card fan is running, and the onboard is disabled, but I still have my desktop. Even checked bios and the primary is PIC EX, not onboard.

My Mobo is http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/...P61PM-GM.shtml

MCP61PM-GM

I added a new 550 W psu, and it's got 3 MBPS of ram. It's an emachine that I want to give to my son to play games. It's running 32bit vista. PCI ex is not 2.0 I dont think but I thought PCI ex 2.0 was backwards compatible?

I appreciate the help.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Have you tried an older driver version? It seems like a driver issue with Vista.

PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible, so that isnt the problem.

When you say it shows it. Where is it showing it ? Have you looked in the device manager ? If not take a look, if its got a yellow question mark or triangle under display adapter then most probably the driver you are using isnt recognised.

Mactronix

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

He said the fan was spinning on the card. That means that there IS power going to the card.

oh oh, now I am getting a black screen now :(

When are you getting a black screen? When you start up, or when you go into windows?
If it is when you start up, it is most likely because you disabled the on-board video.

jackyle

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Boudy, your right I desabled the onboard video, now I seem to be screwed. All I get is the black screen. Man I messed this up.

jackyle

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Ok I cleared CMOS so now I get use my onboard video.

Here's what I now know

I have NVIDIA GeForce 6150 GPU and NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP for my onboard video http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo.html

The driver already installed is 7.15.11.7515

So I get this right can anyone advise me on how to best install the PCI Express video card I have?

TRENDING THREADS