9800 GTX+ PSU

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
okay here is the problem.
I have a BFG GeForce 9800 GTX+ on a 400W PSU, i know i am way under powerd for this card so i am going to upgrade.
(side note) the card ask for a minimum of a 450W PSU

i was looking at a PSU rated @ 500W-600W but the problem i am having is that i do not know what amperage per rail is REQUIRED for this card as i dont have the box anymore. and cant find anything on google, maybe im searching wrong.

also would running a 400w PSU limit me from overclocking properly? this is one of the main reasons i am looking into a new PSU anyway because the card runs perfectly right now as it stands, but if i can overclock it more with a more powerful PSU i will upgrade

thanks ahead of time

ridic23

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
If u r buyin a new PSU don't worry about amperage.....all new PSU come well supported for the cards now available in mainstream market....u wont have any problems with that....400W is less for a 9800GTX+......that much power will restrict u from overclocking properly.....u cant be thinking abt overclocking with an underpowered PSU as it may lead 2 some issues......U better start the hunt for a new PSU asap.....

D

Deleted member 217926

Newegg has Corsair PSUs on sale.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003 450VX has a 33a 12v rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 550vx has a 41a 12v rail.

Either of these will do you quite well. Corsair power supplies are top quality.

If u r buyin a new PSU don't worry about amperage.....all new PSU come well supported for the cards now available in mainstream market

Thats not even close to true. That would mean I could run a 250w Sparkle on my system and could have saved $100.

Buy a good quality unit and you will be fine for years.

This may help as well http://www.antec.outervision.com/

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
okay here is what i got.
600W Coolmax 135MM Atx Psu Single Pcie Connector V-600

Product Features

* SINGLE PCIE CONNECTOR V-600

Technical Details

* Form Factor: ATX
* Wattage: 600-Watt
* Fan: 135 mm
* +3.3V: 24 A
* +5V: 24 A
* +12V 1: 18 A
* +12V 2: 18 A
* +12V 3: 15 A
* -12V: 0.5 A
* +5VSB: 2.5 A
* 20+4-Pin Connector: 1
* 4-Pin P4: 1
* 6-Pin PCI-Express Connector: 1
* 4-Pin Floppy Connector: 1
* 4-Pin Peripheral Connector: 6

<NOTE: 18 A on 3 rails = 54 A total so the PCI-e connector which is all rails combined runs @ 54 A, please correct me if i am wrong.>

got it for $35.08 with 3 day shipping from amazon
here is link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DJEOKO/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

has some mixed reviews but lets hope i got a good deal as i will only be using it for about 6 months to a year before i fully upgrade my pc

D

Deleted member 217926

Coolmax = crap. If you could have spent a few more dollars you could have had a PSU that could have gone into the new system and lasted for years.
There is a reason that thing was $35....
Who knows you might get lucky.

dwisen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

i know it is a cheap PSU i am only hoping to get about 6 months use out of it not expecting much more than that, the reason is in about 6 months to a year max i am upgrading my whole pc minus video card and HDD's which i will keep and put into the new pc.

i wanted to test the higher voltage/amp PSU to see if it would make a difference in stability and or overclock-ability
so i didnt want to spend alot of money just yet as its mainly for testing purposes.

D

Deleted member 217926

If you cant afford a good one right now thats one thing but if you want to test for stability it would help to have a stable PSU to start with and that Coolmax isnt it.
No way would I overclock with that thing....Cheap PSU could damage what you have with unstable voltages. :non:

A good quality unit would have lasted for years and through even several builds.

Yeah... a PSU is one thing you REALLY don't want to totally cheap out on. If it fries, sometimes it can take other components with it. I've seen it take out video cards, motherboards, CPU's, and memory modules. And then you spend HOURS trying to figure out what exactly fried along with it.

I've had a CoolMax PSU before and never had an issue with it, but it was a higher model unit. This is the ol sheet metal cheapo OEM style.

Here... If you want a cheaper alternative. OCZ makes some good stuff if you know which one to get. Here is a 550W that has enough juice for you. It's $65 up from with a $25 rebate. (2) 25A 12V rails and (2) PCI-E power connectors, one being a 6+2. I'd get it and use it on your next build to be honest.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

hopar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

I have been using a 480 Watt CoolMax PSU for over 4 years now, and rescently dropped in a 250GTS in my system (which is pretty much a 9800GTX+), no problems.