9800 NP vs 9600 XT

mzklever

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
Help! My husband asked for a 9600 XT for Christmas, but I snagged one of the 9800 for $199 at Circuit City. Question is, if he asked for the 9600, will he be happier with the 9800 (non pro)? Or should I return it and hope to catch a 9600 before Christmas? Thanks!

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The 9800 np is better than the 9600xt, he should be extra thanking you for that. The only difference between the two (besides for the performance difference) is that the XT card comes with a "free" copy of Half-Life 2. The game is not out yet so instead you get a voucher for the game.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

Just be sure he has the power supply to handle it. R9800 needs molex connector, R9600 series doesn't.

Other than that the R9800 non-pro is a great card and will beat the R9600XT in 99% of benchmarks and game playing situations.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

mzklever

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
It's a Radeon 9800, with no designation after the numbers.

He was concerned about needing to upgrade his processor (or is this just a clever ploy?)...should I get him a new processor to go with it? Right now he has an Athlon 1800.

I just bought him a new case and power supply for Valentine's Day...the Sonata...so I feel pretty confident his power supply can handle it.

Thanks for posting back, guys! I really appreciate the help...I'm a software designer, so hardware is a whole 'nother world :)

XP 1800+ should be fine for now.

Wait for another time to upgrade that (although it will become the next bottleneck of course), when there are better chipsets out there. The A64FX with socket 939 (doesn't need registered ram) will be out in the spring and that's a great upgrade, and also at a time when we'll start seeing games that 'need' more power than that XP1800+. Anywhoo, that's my plan for replacing my XP2000+.

But that's just my opinion.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>