9800 Pro and Slot fan

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Since my case has a free slot over my AGP slot, I've been thinking about putting a slot fan over my 9800 Pro to vent it directly out of the case. However, it would only have a couple millimeters or so clearence between itself and the "bottom" (facing up) of the card. Since this card is raising the ambient temp in my case up to about 96 degrees under full load, its raising my cpu temp as well. I'm looking for a cheap way to lower the temp. I've also thought about making some ducting and attach it to one of the rear 80mm fans if the slot fan is too close. Just throwing some ideas around.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I agree, I have one that takes up space in my desk drawer...

<b>My Bad-Ass PC...</b>
<A HREF="http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/100104-GensPC.jpg" target="_new">http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/100104-GensPC.jpg</A>

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
For general case cooling, I agree, slot fans have been pretty worthless for me, however, since a lot of heat is coming off the back of the 9800 from the bottom of the GPU and the DDR chips, the slot fan (in theory) should suck the majority of that heat right out, assuming that enough air gets between the slot fan and the 9800. (was that a run on sentence or what?) For this to work I'm going to have to reverse the slot fan in its bracket so it's intake is on the bottom face instead of the top face. Is this just wishful thinking?

Woodman, I have 2 intake fans, one at the front that blows over the hard drives so that air is already warm, and one on the side.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Well I think working to throw out heat from your card might be a bit difficult. Instead, how about working on your CPU instead? Perhaps ducting fresh air from the outside, directly onto the CPU?

Or if not, you can reverse the fan direction of your GPU, to suck. Depending on where the side fan is, you might be able to buy a 90-degree air duct. Air would then be sucked from your GPU, and straight out to the side fan (also acting as exhaust).

-----
Hope for the future.
Reflect on the past.
But focus on the present you mofo.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Good Idea Wood on the CPU, and that's kind of what I have going at the moment. With the way everything is placed, my side panel intake fan pulls in fresh air and blows it onto the northbridge and cpu. The 80mm fan on the back of the case is right in line with one side of the CPU heatsink fins so that exhausts right away. (smoke test) While the other side is not as efficent, spreading out a little to the top and and getting sucked out the blowhole and PSU, but thats above the componenets and primarily empty space.

I want to focus on cooling the 9800 because it is physically below all the "important" stuff and it warms everything above it.

I guess I'll just experiment a little. I know the modified slot fan probably isn't going to work the way I think it should, so I probably will do some direct ducting to the cpu. Actually, I should probably cut another hole in the side panel next to the 9800 and get it a direct supply of fresh air. I guess I'll swing by Compusa and Home Depot (plumbing dept) to see if I get inspired.

And BTW, how come someone hasn't come up with a non electrically conductive, non corrosive, thermally conductive liquid that we can just pour into a small fish tank and we can dump the whole friggin system in? Come on Dupont, you can do better than pantyhose!

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
Pure water would work....truly pure, without any stuff desolved in it. wouldn't try it out though... the dust (if it contains salts) on your mobo and such would probably partially desolve in the water, making it conductive

gareis

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
How about getting some flexible plastic tubing, snaking that from your front grille (or other air intake point), zigzagging it across the top of your card (poke holes in it around this part), and putting the other end at a fan? That would suck hot air away from the card (or blow cool air onto it) and cool the whole area. It's the same principle as water cooling, actually, but with air. I call it "directed cooling".

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Well the slot fan isn't going to do it, at least not without a little more modification. There is a component on my A7N8X right over the AGP slot, a metal cylander with thick copper wire wrapped around it, that is in the way. What is that, a voltage regulator? Anyways, I've moved the rear 80mm fan from the top spot in a standard "stacked" config to the lower spot and it looks like that has helped considerably.

Another thing that bugs me is that I was going to pick up some ramsinks but I noticed that on the Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb version, there are 2 components between each pair of DDR chips that are taller than the DDR so the single bar style ramsinks won't work. Gotta get individual ones.

It looks like I might be doing some ducting. BTW, If I had money I'd be doing water cooling.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Hey GWep, since we have similar systems and the same case, do you know what your case temps are?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
THey do, its called Fluorinert (sp?). There are a few articles about people overclocking with this stuff. Try searching for "submersion computer cooling" or something like that in google.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Slap on a VGA cooler from arctic cooling and watch the hot air get sucked out, it is quieter than nvidia's solution. :wink: