tpapaleo9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
I have a 9800 Pro that has been working fine for the 2 months I've had it, and now all of a sudden my system locks up a minute or so into a game. It's fine the rest of the time but as soon as I start a game it freezes up. When I got the card I installed the 3.7 drivers instead of the ones on the cd which were 3.1. The card would lock up in games so I installed the 3.1 drivers and it worked fine. When 3.8 came out I installed them and had no problems. When 3.9 came out I also had no problems. Now all of a sudden it starts locking up on me again. I went back to 3.1 and it still locks up. I can watch a dvd for 2 hours and it doesn't lock up. I haven't installed any new games or programs that I know would cause this. All my drivers and bios are up to date. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My system:
Athlon XP 3000 (333fsb)
MSI KT4 Ultra
1gb OCZ pc2700 3.2rev
ATI 9800 Pro w/Zalman heatpipe cooler w/fan
Soundblaster Audigy 2
2x 80gb WD special edition w/ RAID 0
Promise Fastrak 2000 raid card

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
just an advice pump ur fsb to 200 (400)
BIG PERFORMANCE BOOST

Seriously for your problem
1-Maybe your video card cooler is not sticked on the die correctly.
2-if its a driver problem then the video card should recover with vpu recover feature.
3-run anti virus and anti-spyware software
4-verify if you have application running in background
5-try to completly wipe out your old driver then reinstall the new one<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 11/14/03 10:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tpapaleo9

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003
I've checked all those multiple times and they're all ok. The vpu recover does not do anything. The game locks up, it stays frozen for like 30 seconds, then the screen goes black for a few seconds then it turns blue with lines in it. After that I hit reset and it comes back up normally. No error messages or anything. Very frustrating since it was fine one day then this started the next.

Prospector

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
I have the same problem with my asus radeon 9800xt. I was 1st using the CD drivers an it was working fine for about 2 days. Then i installed catalsyt 3.9 and my games kept crashing, everthing else was fine. I went back to old cd drivers but no luck, system kept freezin. Smart doctor utility says the card is damaged because of the heat. So i dont believe it, the cat 3.9 destroyed my expensive card.