9800 pro TV out not full screen?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Just installed 9800 pro, I am kind of surprised to see that the TV out image
does not cover whole TV screen! The image is in a box, there is a frame
around it. That looks very uncomfortable.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Conor wrote:
> In article <FdDpc.90160$FH5.2425019@news20.bellglobal.com>, lleaf-
> delete.this-@hotmail.com says...
>
>>Just installed 9800 pro, I am kind of surprised to see that the TV out image
>>does not cover whole TV screen! The image is in a box, there is a frame
>>around it. That looks very uncomfortable.
>>
>>
>>
>
> You need to set the aspect ratio.
>

It is already set as 4:3 in clone mode.

In extend desktop mode, there is no option to set aspect ratio.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

You need to enable TV-Overscan.

The behavior you are witnessing is intended. Since the default expected use
for the TV-out is as an extension to the desktop and because of the design
of most televisions, which is to obscure the outer edges of the display, the
drivers output the display in a slightly scaled format... probably about
90-95%. In this way, none of the outputed image is obscured. While this is
desirable for application type work on the TV, it is not ideal (or not what
we're used to) for watching movies. With that in mind, ATI has included the
ability to enable or disable TV-Overscan (which does not scale the image
output at all) via the Control Panel GUI since Cat 3.9 I believe ( don't
remember exactly when ).

Hope that helps.


--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com
djraid@comcast.net


"I discuss" <lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:RMKpc.133$325.80432@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> Conor wrote:
> > In article <FdDpc.90160$FH5.2425019@news20.bellglobal.com>, lleaf-
> > delete.this-@hotmail.com says...
> >
> >>Just installed 9800 pro, I am kind of surprised to see that the TV out
image
> >>does not cover whole TV screen! The image is in a box, there is a frame
> >>around it. That looks very uncomfortable.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > You need to set the aspect ratio.
> >
>
> It is already set as 4:3 in clone mode.
>
> In extend desktop mode, there is no option to set aspect ratio.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I prefer to adjust the display size as large as possible with the tv
adjustments because overscan clips too much of the display for my liking.
From what I've read we're also having our broadcasts clipped at the edges
too, but I'm no expert on this, could be wrong.

Mike

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:0rmdnbJQTuHEkDTdRVn-tw@giganews.com...
> You need to enable TV-Overscan.
>
> The behavior you are witnessing is intended. Since the default expected
use
> for the TV-out is as an extension to the desktop and because of the design
> of most televisions, which is to obscure the outer edges of the display,
the
> drivers output the display in a slightly scaled format... probably about
> 90-95%. In this way, none of the outputed image is obscured. While this is
> desirable for application type work on the TV, it is not ideal (or not
what
> we're used to) for watching movies. With that in mind, ATI has included
the
> ability to enable or disable TV-Overscan (which does not scale the image
> output at all) via the Control Panel GUI since Cat 3.9 I believe ( don't
> remember exactly when ).
>
> Hope that helps.
>
>
> --
> Tony DiMarzio
> djtone81@hotmail.com
> djraid@comcast.net
>
>
> "I discuss" <lleaf-NOSPAM-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:RMKpc.133$325.80432@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >
> > Conor wrote:
> > > In article <FdDpc.90160$FH5.2425019@news20.bellglobal.com>, lleaf-
> > > delete.this-@hotmail.com says...
> > >
> > >>Just installed 9800 pro, I am kind of surprised to see that the TV out
> image
> > >>does not cover whole TV screen! The image is in a box, there is a
frame
> > >>around it. That looks very uncomfortable.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > > You need to set the aspect ratio.
> > >
> >
> > It is already set as 4:3 in clone mode.
> >
> > In extend desktop mode, there is no option to set aspect ratio.
> >
>
>