9800 pro with nf7-s v2.0 - weird behaviour

I am experiencing random reboots and system freezes. Sometimes when idling
in windows or playing games, and the system will barely boot again
(usually takes 10 retries).

When I use my powercolor radeon 9800 pro in combination with an amd
3000+(barton 1.75v) or a 2100+ (palonimo 1.75v) it freezes or reboots.
However, when I use the 9800 with a duron 600 or a xp 2400+ (thoroughbred
1.65v) it works with the 9800 pro. Also, I get my system to work with a
2100+(palonimo 1.75v) and a riva TNT2 pro.

How come 3000+ (or 2100+) and 9800 pro won't work at the same time in this
system? could it be related to the cpu core-voltage?

I am not overclocking, have an enermax 400w supply (tried several), and no
cooling-problems whatsoever. Also tried newest bios from abit and nforce2
chipsetdrivers.
(I have also tried an asus a7kv8x mainboard and checked my 2 RAM chips
one-by-one and ran memorytests on them..)

I would greatly appreciate any help :D

- Sjur Millidahl

In article <c7mbn3$ghr$1@orkan.itea.ntnu.no>, millidah@stud.ntnu.no (Sjur
Millidahl) wrote:

> How come 3000+ (or 2100+) and 9800 pro won't work at the same
> time in this system? could it be related to the cpu core-voltage?

If you hadn't ruled out a power supply problem I'd certainly have said
"try a new power supply" :)

FWIW my NF7-S 2.0 misbehaves as well, some of them are just bad boards it
would seem. My PC3200 ram is running at 166Mhz because the board's
unstable if I push it higher. Pc3500 Corsair ram wouldn't run over 200MHz
either, no matter what I tried, even with a really low CPU multiplier.

I suggest you *under*clock to look for stability. Once you have a stable
setup you can then push things (fsb, ram timings etc) looking for
weakness. You could also try using Rivatuner or something to underclock
the 9800 Pro. Hardly an ideal solution though for such an excellent card.

Andrew McP

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

Raise the AGP voltage in bios one or two notches. Fixes many of these sorts
of issues. Monitor voltage rails also.

rms

Tried this with no luck i am afraid :)

- Sjur

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> Raise the AGP voltage in bios one or two notches. Fixes many of these
sorts
> of issues. Monitor voltage rails also.
>
> rms

You might think that I am asking a stupid question... but I have to ask it
since my other system had a similar issue... Have you checked if you have
any viruses in your system? Some viruses make your system very unstable...
Just a thought.

--
Daniel
www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english