9800GT 1GB DDR3 Extremly Bad Performance

G

Hi!

I've got a Point of View GeForce 9800GT 1024MB DDR3 Green.

But there seems to be some problems as i only got a score of 2419 on 3DMark06.
3dMark score
I've tested with both the drivers that comes with the graphics card
and with the latest one from nVidias website. Also tested reinstall Windows 7
and i always get about the same score on 3DMark06.
I've tested a few games as well with really really poor performance.

And one more strange thing i've noticed is that when i look at the driver
software and click on "About my system" it reports that i have ddr2 512mb graphics memory.

The computer specs are:

PSU:
Corsair TX 750W

CPU:
Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-2500K
3,3GHz, Socket LGA1155, 6MB, Boxed

MB:
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3, Socket-1155

Memory:
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

Download GPU-Z. It will tell you everyone you need to know about your graphics card. It will confirm what you really have, just to be sure. The 9800GT Green is not the fastest car on the block. What games is it performing poorly in?

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

G

gvt.png

GPU-Z reports that it is GeForce 9800GT but DDR3 but it still
reports the wrong? ram amount. Both the package and the sticker
on the videocard says its 1024MB and in the end of the serial number
"GREEN".

Tested it on Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike Source, Crysis 2 and Mirrors Edge.
Crysis 2 is absolutely not playable at all.

I've also done another benchmark in 3DMark Vantage. P666 in score.

Its about the same framerate in the games as my 7400 GS 256mb.

G

I've tried it with both the new 266.58 drivers from nvidia's site and
the drivers on the cd from the box.
Reinstalled Windows 7 when i reinstalled the drivers.

No, but i got it for free from a friend because it was so slow.
So it have been slow all the time.

Have you tried 3DMark06? Just wondering if you have approximately the same
score as me.

G

Hmm, could i possibly be a firmware bug?

The card doesn't have a power connector.

If i could find someone with the same card and do a backup with NVFlash and
try to flash it using a different firmware.

Any other suggestions?

As the card doesnt seem to be fried and it have been slow from when it was new.

I remember when these cards came out and couldn't believe they ran with no 6pin power connector. There were all sorts of different versions released from each manufacturer. The majority performed around the 9600GT performance and that still used a 6 pin connector. This just may be a really chopped down card. 4 ROPS is 1/4 of the standard 9800GT 16 ROPs, and 64bit memory bus is 1/4 of the original 256bit bus. My only though on that is this card is really a terrible design or something is wrong with it.

You got it for free so you are not out anything.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
If it does not have any warranty i do not now what you can do with it. Everything is screwed up with it. The image is not from my card but as jay posted from the internet.
I posted it as a comparison because i got a bigger score(and bigger numbers in gpu-z) with my core 2 duo at 3.4Ghz and my old HD2600XT.

If you do not find a way to fix it mechanically or by a bios flash then you can keep it until you get a new one. I suggest one from 6950 above to go with your CPU, if not, send your PC to me, i will put one inside and enjoy it (ha ha ha).

G

Hehe, okey. But i think i could still have warranty. Im gonna mail the manufacturer and see what they say!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL XD

Dude that has got to be to most funky card that I have ever seen!!!!! RMA or store return Right Away! A normal 9800gt blows that away and are you even sure that is a real 9800gt even? Why is something that most don't know including the rich know it all types that you can rename the card by editing the bios rom in nbitor to make it appear to the driver as something else.

65955.png

Take a picture of the actual card that you have because you either have a bricked card or a counterfeit 9800gt :pt1cable:

Second EDIT: Your bios is not even in techpowerup database.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Point+of+View&model=9800+GT&interface=&memSize=0

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I was wondering if you can make some changes to the bios to look like a 9800gt but i was not confident enough to state that, seeing your comment i guess it can be done. Got to remember that..also this is the first card that i have seen to look like this .. :crazy: .

You can, it is all about fooling the driver and other applications into thinking that it is something that it is not. I was going to bios mod a 9800gt 1gb to sli with a stock gts 250 1gb without using a different bios. You can do this by changing device id and other tags while leaving other things unchanged such as volts, clocks, timings, and profiles. Nvidia cards can be very funky just like ATI but most don't know it as well as others. Not very many do this so this is extremely rare that this was even posted. This is the first time that I have seen someone post such a card here on THG. That isn't a normal 9800gt period, it is either defective OR it is what I have suggested. I can even do a step by step guide how to reproduce this but it may not be something that I should post.

G

frontclw.jpg

backzc.jpg

connectionsp.jpg

G

Yes, looks the same.

I've mailed POV yesterday and got a response today:
Dear sir

I would recommend to go back to the reseller where you bought the card . The card must have 1024MB , I guess this is a mistake by factory

With kind regards

Point of View / Technical Department

I'm gonna see if i can send it to them directly!