9800GT Black Screen

stlegend9

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

Recently out of no where my graphics card has stopped displaying altogether..

Here are my computer specs:
Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
CPU: AMD AM2 6000+
RAM: 4GB
Graphics card: 9800GT

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
Updated BIOS (newest version)
Updated all drivers
Tested PCI-E slot with other g-card (works)
Used a different power supply
Changed RAM
Taken card to computer repair, card worked on their machine.
Cleared the CMOS
Used digital to analogue converter

What happens:
When i switch the computer on the amber light stays on the monitor, and you can not see the POST and the usual 1 beep follows. The fans are also spinning on the g-card is anyone is wondering.

Anything you can suggest that could lead to the solution would be much helpful.

Edit: Just tried resetting the CMOS and using the digital to analogue converter.

stlegend9

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah the board does have on board graphics and i have uninstalled its drivers and disabled it. I also set PCI-E as the primary display device. Still no luck.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Does any other video card work on your board?
If not then the obvious and painfull answer is that your pci-e slot is damaged and you need a new board.
I take it that your onboard graphics works when you boot with it......
Hopefuly you have some warranty left on the mobo otherwise look at a different mobo manufacturer...I personally don't like ASUS boards anymore because they are not that reliable anymore...I'ld rather buy GIGABYTE, INTEL or FOXCONN boards.
Hope this helps.

stlegend9

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Make sure your plugged into the correct port. Might need to try both of them to see what one its actually using.

Also make sure your 4/8 pin connector is plugged into your motherboard. Sounds like this could be the problem.

stlegend9

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

The graphics card has 2 DVI ports which both do not display POST.

Also there is a 6 pin connector for the graphics card which it attached to the powersupply.....

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
You could try using some contact cleaner and spray the slot then insert and remove the card several times.
Other then that it should still show post as it's the basic of display settings.
Maybe you'll have to send that card in for replacement or the mobo....
Can't really understand what is preventing a working vid card from working in a working pci-e slot....

stlegend9

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I tried sending in the G-card to be repaired.... but for charged a false alarm fee of $30 (gey)

I asked a senior IT teacher about my problem. He said over time the resisters in the motherboard can develop hairline cracks in them. And when load and heat is applied to it, it will contract. This he explained why the 9800GT (more powerful) wouldn't work because of the power and heat. This also explains why my 7600GT works in the motherboard because of less power and generally less heat.

I don't know how common this is but it certainly sounds like the issue in this case.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Can't say I've heard of this phenomenon as your 7600GT probably draws more power from the motherboard due to it not having a power plug on it then the 9800GT which gets most of it's power from the power plug.
I should have asked this earlier...what power supply do you have and how many amps are on the +12V rail(s).

G

Did you ever find a solution. I have an identical problem but add an ATI PCIE card as well and two motherboard's ASUS and Gigabyte. I've tried alternat operating systems up to Windows 7. I've already followed the troubleshooting steps you've taken in addition to more.