9800GTX+ isn't enough??? and software overclocking

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Specs!

AMD 4400+ Software overclock of 2.6ghz
2GB of infenion ram
9800GTX+ @ 760mhz

OK now i just wanted to throw this in the thread...is my overclock of 400mhz pretty decent for being software? my motherboard is locked and i have some pretty crappy ram...so far from what iv read most can reach 500mhz although that is in the bios and without a voltage increase on the 4400+ albeit im quite content at 400mhz and i would rather not waste money to get a little performance increase as this system intent is a cheap build

ok now to the main problem and creation of this thread

So iv enabled 40vs40 bots on battlefield 2 and im running at the max in game settings...no aa or af optional @ 1280x1024

Now my cpu is overclocked by 400MHZ and im running 2gbs of ram....now i can spawn in battlefield and watch 40 bots just walk side by side no problem it runs butter smooth past 60 fps even...

But when im in a firefight like the picture below i get like 20fps? wth? should it go that low? with just a little trees and bush's in view and like 20 bots on the screen i get low fps?...cpu isn't being maxed...does this game really max the gpu? and the whole time my cpu never hits past 60% and is definitely not being maxed out...im happy about that for sure

Il take some more pics as example so here is one i have so far

Would only having 2gbs of ram be the problem? i would think not considering i have no problem running the game and the added bots run perfectly...atm im just testing this system as another stronger system will soon run on lan with this system and it will run the bots...

anyways enough rambling pics below..

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Ok just did another test with 126 bots now...cpu doesn't get near 60% so i was wrong the first time as well...is battlefield 2 really this demanding gpu wise? i figured if it was the 40-50 bots walking in unison would kill it whilst just driving around looking at bases the fps surely isn't as high as i expected...hmmm

BTW the fps in this pic was around 20-19 fps...

Edit: oh i actually just found out bf2 has an option for aa....il enable that and see how it goes

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Wounldn't 40-60 bots more or less take up all your cpu time... I get 90-100fps on a G80 8800GTS 640mb online. Why don't you just care about online performance.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
No its actually the X2...but if it was the limiting factor wouldn't it be maxing out? i mean i still have 40-50% system idle in taskmanager and on speed fan the whole time...and i figured 2gb would be enough as well...my system is optimized to eat the least ram possible

Then again i am trying to run a server on it and play as well....

Hmmm since this game will still be mostly run on lan and the bots will run from another pc im not too worried...

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Server with gaming...not always the best.

You should check your nvidia properties to see if your drivers are running AA/AF...the game may not have them on, but you card may override game settings.

yeah the dual core should be fine. The Ram may help, but I would check what processes are running in the background as well. Stock unneeded services and apps. When was the last time you reformated? I find that I do this once a year or so to keep things running smooth.

Is your GPU stuck in 2D mode? Not sure if the 9800GTX+ does this or not. I know Nvidia started to do the 2D 3D profiles like ATI.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I mean server as in im serving the bots ai from my cpu as well...if i offload the process of the bots ai onto a stronger system it may help and most likely resolve my slow downs

And im a HUGE junkie when it comes to os customizing on processes and services....i had my netbook running great on 12 processess 100mbs of ram usage and a select few services...120-130mbs of ram usage with av

I actually did check and made sure no aa or af along with no v sync was on...iv tweaked a few things and il get back to testing...still haven't tried to test it on my stronger system

This system was only built recently and the os has its own hdd away from games thats kept as clean as possible and its only purpose is gaming...this pc runs at my work and comes home with me if i need a gaming pc on hand for a friend...i keep the stronger system at home

The main hdd is a 40gb ide drive with around 20gbs free..the drive i store games on is a small 2.5" 55gb drive soley games atm its size isn't a big restriction either :na:

and there is no way the system is in 2d mode the performance would be considerably worse

anyways thanks for the input and help guys...the real test will be when i try a gta iv lan run....im thinking it will go smoth :sarcastic: