9800Pro or Nvidia 5900xt?

Same price from my retailer.
XFX brand for the 5900xt, unknown for the Ati
but it has the 256 bit memory bus for sure.

What do you guys think?
Cheers
Ted

On 7/1/2004 7:48 AM texterted brightened our day with:

>Same price from my retailer.
>XFX brand for the 5900xt, unknown for the Ati
>but it has the 256 bit memory bus for sure.
>
>What do you guys think?
>Cheers
>Ted

What have you got now?
I just got a new BBA 9800 Pro for $199, it's terrific. But I went from
having a 9600 Pro which I was already very happy with. Had no real
desire to return to an nVidia card.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message

> What have you got now?

Hi Steve,
I have an Nvidia Ti4200 128mb... been a good card.
I paid about the same as what these two are going for!

Cheers
Ted

>Same price from my retailer.
>XFX brand for the 5900xt, unknown for the Ati
>but it has the 256 bit memory bus for sure.
>
>What do you guys think?
>Cheers
>Ted

Just replaced a NEW 9800pro
with a 5900xt.
ATI was a hot running (needed an 80mm case fan blowing on it so I could touch
it) SOB that would run benchmarks only part way thru SOMETIMES...did what I'm
now calling the ATI shuffle, much driver scrubbing, OS reinstalling, all for
naught.

Removed the 9800pro...stuck in the 5900XT...TRYING to cause problems.

Ran 3Dmark2001se...3Dmark2003...aquamark3

NO problems.

Goodbye Ati...

Ski

"texterted" <nospam@hotmail"100".com> wrote in message
> Same price from my retailer.
> XFX brand for the 5900xt, unknown for the Ati
> but it has the 256 bit memory bus for sure.
>
> What do you guys think?
> Cheers
> Ted

Thanks for the response guys...
Went for the Ati in the end... no choice really
that's all they had left!

An HiS Excalibur IceQ, looks like a beast of a card.
Can't tell how good it is 'cos it won't let my Abit KX7-333R
boot... :(
Don't know what to do now... card's ok I've tested it
in a different machine. I've searched and found others with
similar issues with via chipsets. The hotplug of the card's power
cord trick doesn't work. Mine fails to post at all with it in.

Might look for another mboard.... nforce2???
Cheers
Ted

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:51:41 GMT, "texterted"
<nospam@hotmail"100".com> wrote:

>Thanks for the response guys...
>Went for the Ati in the end... no choice really
>that's all they had left!
>
>An HiS Excalibur IceQ, looks like a beast of a card.
>Can't tell how good it is 'cos it won't let my Abit KX7-333R
>boot... :(
>Don't know what to do now... card's ok I've tested it
>in a different machine. I've searched and found others with
>similar issues with via chipsets. The hotplug of the card's power
>cord trick doesn't work. Mine fails to post at all with it in.
>
>Might look for another mboard.... nforce2???
>Cheers
>Ted

Just a bit for ya... my 9800Pro (256bit/128mb) is easily more powerful
than my 5900 (plain 128mb)... which is a hair faster than the XT.

I dont have any heat problems with either card.

If youre buying new.... look at an Nforce3 board, more upgradability.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

TRENDING THREADS