9800SE vs 9800 original

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
i just noticed recently that saphire has released a new card entitled the 9800SE, this card appears to be very similar to the original 9800 (non pro) from saphire, but its about 100 dollars cheaper, anyone know what the differences between the two are?

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The SE sucks! Stay away from it at all cost!

The 9800SE performs like a 9500NP.

A R9800NP will absolutely BLOW AWAY a 9800SE.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

G

Captain Obvious says that the 'SE' stands for 'Sucky Edition'!

Avoid it.

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!
Captain Obvious: Pointing out the Obvious and not so Obvious!</font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9800SE is to the 9800 what the 9500 NON-pro was to the 9700.

In fact, the 9800SE IS a 9500 NON-pro, with a slightly revised chip.

It still comes with 1/2 the memory bandwidth and 1/2 the rendering pipelines of the 9800 NON-pro.

It's MUCH slower than the 9600 Pro, so if you have the money for it, get the 9600 Pro instead.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crash it also depends on which SE, which no one has mentioned.
The Hercules R9800SE has 256 bit memory and is an equal/better match to the R9600XT.
However MOST of them are the 128bit like you say, and are dogs.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If I mention exceptions, people tend to assume other exceptions, and end up asking stupid questions and not believing the answers, or making purchasing mistakes.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

True.

It was just such a surprise seeing that Hercules perform. I felt it needed mentioning, but you are correct, the people coming here to ask would likely not make the further effort to make sure they got a 256bit one, especially if they didn't do the basic groundwork to find out the major differences in the first place.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
i resent that comment, as i posted this while i was looking for the differences, the sapphire cards run the 256bit memory bus, unless their website lies, so the question i have now is does anyone know of benchies related to this card, or if it would perform faster than a 9600pro/xt

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf

i resent that comment,
Well then you didn't really understand it.

Considering GOOGLE would answer all of the above, then I guess you resemble that remark as well as resent it.

If you searched this very forum you also would have found the answer to all the above. So I think it's quite an accurate statement.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
saphire lied, <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-321-02.JPG/14-102-321-01.JPG/14-102-321-03.JPG/14-102-321-04.JPG" target="_new">Here's the Pics</A>, it's the same PCB as their 9500 non-pro, it has only a 128-bit memory bus. It cost the same price as the 9600 Pro, but is clocked significantly slower. Here's a rundown;

9600 Pro______9800SE
$150_________$150
4-pipelines____4-piplines
128-bit RAM___128-bit RAM
128MB________128MB
400MHz VPU___325MHz VPU
130nm________150nm

The 9600 Pro is faster, produces less heat, overclocks easier, and uses less electrical power. It probably comes with better RAM too.