[SOLVED] 980ti strix partial fail?

Feb 24, 2021
Looking for some advice, not much experience with GPU hardware tinkering. Search for similar problems but can’t seem to find one like this, the card seems to be working in some sort of safe mode.

my 5 yr old 980ti Strix recently went crazy while gaming, fans suddenly went to 100%, game failed , so I restarted. It was the first time I’d used it for a good few weeks. Since then it spins the fans on startup briefly, lights up like normal, but when windows 10 loads it’s in a super low resolution using a small box in the middle of the screen. Windows reports a 43 code, device has reported a problem and has been disabled.

I’ve tried to update to drivers, tried a reinstall of drivers, cleaned the card and looked for signs of burn out, can’t see anything. I would upgrade to a 3070 but that’s not happening for a while!
Is it dead or is there anything else I can try?

Help much appreciated, this forum has been a great resource for me over the years, first time poster though, and not much I can contribute by way of expertise!

Solution
Looking for some advice, not much experience with GPU hardware tinkering. Search for similar problems but can’t seem to find one like this, the card seems to be working in some sort of safe mode.

my 5 yr old 980ti Strix recently went crazy while gaming, fans suddenly went to 100%, game failed , so I restarted. It was the first time I’d used it for a good few weeks. Since then it spins the fans on startup briefly, lights up like normal, but when windows 10 loads it’s in a super low resolution using a small box in the middle of the screen. Windows reports a 43 code, device has reported a problem and has been disabled.

I’ve tried to update to drivers, tried a reinstall of drivers, cleaned the card and looked for signs of burn out...

I’ve tried to update to drivers, tried a reinstall of drivers, cleaned the card and looked for signs of burn out, can’t see anything. I would upgrade to a 3070 but that’s not happening for a while!

Help much appreciated, this forum has been a great resource for me over the years, first time poster though, and not much I can contribute by way of expertise!
BACK UP ALLLLLLLLLL "important files" you want to save. And reset your os drive restart fresh on that drive.

Solution

Run this and post a link to your results.