99 Problems and my graphic card is definitely one.

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
MY BUILD:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yqmKqs

PROBLEM:
Computer boots into black screen. I formatted drive, reinstalled Windows 10, booted in fine, it auto installed a video driver, asked for rebooted, i rebooted - blackscreen. Second time round: formatted, reinstalled win10, but this time I manually installed the up-to-date Geforce 780 driver. Rebooted fine. However! When i tried to play a game, it was getting only 2 fps. I checked the driver through Geforce Experience and it said I needed to download and install the same driver that I had just installed. I did. Rebooted. Checked driver. It said I have to download and install the same drive that I had just downloaded and installed twice in a row. This time I tried to roll back and install an older driver. Rebooted. Blackscreen. One other hint: As I'm installing the Geforce driver, I get a windows popup message that says 'driver installed please reboot your computer' but I'm only about a quarter of the way installing the Geforce driver. I suspect that my onboard graphics driver is overriding my Geforce driver.

Any thoughts?

Solution
Your card doesn't seem to be kaput. If it was, it would probably have problems before and after the driver installation. Not only during the installation. If you got the chance to try another nVidia card from a friend or something you could rule that out. Borrow a card from a friend or something. Doesn't have to be the same model. From what i understand the nVidia drivers can work on any card. At least any GTX card. At least to see if it will allow you to install the driver properly.
Do you choose to make a Clean Install of the driver? It usually reboots halfway after unninstalling the old driver or between different applications that the driver package brings and installs like geforce experience. And do you have any problems when you boot with the Intel Integrated graphics on your CPU withou your 780 there?

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
Ok, here's the update with a few more clues. I got home and after my last step in the original post, I was able to boot into safe mode. I checked my device manager, and there were the following errors: http://i.imgur.com/ymHefrt.jpg?1 Not sure if that's a hint? Anyways, updated my Geforce Driver and was able to reboot into normal mode and those errors were gone. However, like usual, it said my video driver needed an update.

Next, I tried a Clean Install. Everything was going ok, it started uninstalling drivers, then the screen went black...I waited 10 minutes. Nothing but black screen. That didnt work. Rebooted, reinstalled driver, rebooted. And, like usual, it said my driver was out of date.

Next, I tried removing my graphics card and plugged in my monitor to my onboard video port. Had no trouble booting in.

Next, I tried inserting my GPU in one of my other slots. Booted up fine, but same problems as before - it will not accept a new driver. Same problem as from the start.

Like I mentioned in my original post, it starts to install the driver, and I get a windows message in the bottom right of my screen that an new driver has been installed and asking me to restart my computer. But I find this suspicious because Geforce Experience is only about 15-20% done the update.

Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if my video card is kaput, the mobo is having problems or if it's just a software/driver issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Your card doesn't seem to be kaput. If it was, it would probably have problems before and after the driver installation. Not only during the installation. If you got the chance to try another nVidia card from a friend or something you could rule that out. Borrow a card from a friend or something. Doesn't have to be the same model. From what i understand the nVidia drivers can work on any card. At least any GTX card. At least to see if it will allow you to install the driver properly.

Solution

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014

This was selected as the correct answer. However, it was the card that was kaput in the end. I returned the card under warrantee and was sent new one and everything was fixed.