$99 Windows Tablets Expected Later This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be crap. For the record people, you don't get anything decent under $99 when it comes to tablets - the screen is crap or the processor is.

I've worked in retail for 2 years now and I've never seen a person keep a tablet they bought that was under $100.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Good alternative to budget Android tablets, though I have similar expectations for them being a pleasure to use beyond e-book and comic reading.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
CPU will completely suck making it useless. Most will opt for their android counterparts at $200 with massively more functionality. MS can't seem to get mobile correct. It's either massively overpriced for what you get, or this time it seems massively underpowered. The first surface rt came way overpriced and with a 1.3 tegra when 1.7's were running already in another device (what?). I can't wait to see the specs on this $99 model. If surface had went with the 1.7ghz it would have been reviewed much better (that's a massive increase from 1.3ghz tegra). They need to start selling android models and put better hardware in them to get anywhere. RT is pretty useless and you're not going to run win7/8 etc on a $99-199 tablet and expect it to run. So start selling android :)

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Make a phone with a hybrid ARM & x86 architecture like AMD is working on. Make it function like a standard mobile device with all the apps we expect.

Make a pad similar to the wireless charging pads that then connect the phone to a monitor with a built in USB hub. Wirelessly using some NFC technology or otherwise, allow that phone to deliver a complete Windows 8.1/9 experience to that display with a keyboard and mouse. All my apps will be with me, all my files will be with me, and it can backup to the cloud in case the device is lost.

Make it for $500 or less. I know it won't be fast, but a product that can execute both x86 and ARM code will be very versatile.

My phone is 8 times more powerful than the PC I used in college. I would expect that today's current mobile devices could deliver something like the Moto Atrix tried to do but without wires and with Windows.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
If it's not RT, then I'll buy one of these immediately.

They'll be full Windows 8.1 - they'll be out very soon actually. The Emdoor i8080 should be out shortly, plus a ton of others

8-inch display,
1280 x 800 IPS technology,
1GB RAM,
16GB SSD,
Intel’s 1.33GHz – 1.8GHz Bay Trail SoC(Intel Atom Z3735G)
A microSD slot, Micro USB and Mini HDMI
Stereo speakers,
Camera,
18.5Wh battery,
Weight – 355 gms.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
It's going to be crap. For the record people, you don't get anything decent under $99 when it comes to tablets - the screen is crap or the processor is.

I've worked in retail for 2 years now and I've never seen a person keep a tablet they bought that was under $100.

I expertise in things like this, and yes, you can most certainly get a decent android tablet for under $100. Look for the Chuwi V17HD - $67 - RK3188 quad-1.6 ghz, 1024X600 IPS display, 1GB ram, 8GB ROM, etc. I bought 3.

Chinese make? I find it dubious that you've had it any significant amount of time. The Chinese couldn't engineer themselves out of a cardboard box.

Though, as a concession, I was referring to mainstream companies that offer Western quality support, aka, customer support.

not me

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
For $99, what kind of hardware would run full windows 8.1?

Basically crappy hardware. And if it is combined with full WIndows then expect horrible battery life and laggy UI.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
ROFL, 5 downvotes for what on my post? MS lovers or something? You think MS can make a good tablet for $99 vs. android? RT lovers? Impossible. Ah, must be I mentioned tegra...LOL. NV haters...

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Funny how other sites lead me to believe this was going to be a desktop or a laptop which i have said it was impossible to do.

Anyway some of the others are right these tablets are going to seriously lack in performance or other hardware deficiencies such as low memory storage. I end up buying some really cheap smart phones and while at this point i just need a decent working smartphone i don't need high performance or whatever but for tablets you do want better performance as these devices should work as good as your home PC. Otherwise i wouldn't even expect these tablets to last more than a few years before technology advances yet again. I definitely won't be buying one of these because there are better tablets out there that are not skimping on the hardware or quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.