[SOLVED] 990 optiplex dt help

Feb 22, 2022
Hi, I'm familiar with computers but also dont know a whole lot. I bought an optiplex 990 dt
2Tb
16 g ddr3
Ci5 2400 3.1g
64 bit
My understanding is the graphics are integrated and the power supply is weak
Is there a specific nicer gaming type case I can swap the parts to and add a better graphics card ? I don't want to spend a ton of money or I would have just bought a better computer to start with It seems this topic has been beat to death but I can't find solid answers. Thanks for any help. The current graphics won't support my sons games and a nicer case would be great I'm also lost on what size tower I would need cheers

Solution
Dell cases, motherboards, power supplies and various connectors may not be "industry standard"...............which means you may get in a jam if you try to replace those parts.

Stuff like hard drives, CPUs, and RAM shouldn't be a problem.

I think that PC dates from 2011. I'm not sure how much Dells from that era were not industry standard, but I'd be highly suspicious that I could just start throwing new parts at it.

250 watt PSU, 11 years old.

DDR3 RAM

Q67 chipset.

Very tough to tell you to do anything with it at all.

Maybe buy another used machine that does use industry standard parts that could later be upgraded without so many issues?

Budget...
Dell cases, motherboards, power supplies and various connectors may not be "industry standard"...............which means you may get in a jam if you try to replace those parts.

I think that PC dates from 2011. I'm not sure how much Dells from that era were not industry standard, but I'd be highly suspicious that I could just start throwing new parts at it.

DDR3 RAM

Q67 chipset.

Maybe buy another used machine that does use industry standard parts that could later be upgraded without so many issues?

Budget limited? A basic new machine would run circles around what you have now.

There are all types of tolerably good case possibilities, but putting a Dell motherboard and power supply into them may not work well.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 22, 2022

DDR3 RAM

Q67 chipset.

Budget limited? A basic new machine would run circles around what you have now.

There are all types of tolerably good case possibilities, but putting a Dell motherboard and power supply into them may not work well.
I suspected that may be my best route. I'm going to continue to try for a bit. Greatly appreciate your reply cheers

Feb 22, 2022
I suspected that may be my best route. I'm going to continue to try for a bit. Greatly appreciate your reply cheers
The 16 g RAM sounded appealing when I bought it

OptiPlex 990 DT is one of these slim office cases with custom cabling and runt PSU. Works for media viewing, software development or other tasks whose don't need heavy graphics processing. For gaming - Solitaire and very light 3D games. For something more serious - get something better with full size PSU and GPU support. There is an option which might work for you - low profile GPU without need for external PCIe power cable. Something like GeForce GTX 1650 Low Profile - if you can find it. 4 GB RAM version is obviously better, but pricier. And keep in might that you still have machine with 11 years old architecture.

Last edited: