Question 9900k, 2080 Stuttering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian62134

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
Hello, I recently purchased the Lenovo T730 90JF006BUS. I noticed a lot of stuttering while playing fortnite dropping frames and overall low frames. A streamer i watch has the same specs and gets 240 constantly while streaming also so i'm very confused. I also added another 8GB of ram to my system so i have a total 24GB at this time. I also noticed very low FPS in Rust averaging about 100-130(client.benchmark in console) on pretty low settings, my friend did a benchmark with his 1050 and 9700k and was getting 100-120 so I'm so confused and there is very little stuttering in rust a lot in fortnite. Please help :(

You don't need 24GB and it's probably causing you more harm than good. I would remove the other 8GB until the problem is resolved. That other stick could be causing any manner of problems including a drop in overall memory speed (What speed are ALL your sticks, and what are ALL part/model numbers for any kits/sticks?), lack of dual channel, lack of full amount being actually in use, etc.

What is your EXACT power supply model and how long has it been in service?

What are the rest of your hardware specifications including CPU cooler, motherboard model, case fans, etc.?

It is probably worth also making sure ALL of this is addressed if it hasn't been already.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Adrian62134

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
@Darkbreeze The computer is brand new from Lenovo I just removed the other 8GB stick, there is only 2 DIMM slots and i have 1 stick, the powersupplys model number is a ps-8501-2VB by LITEON its a 500W, the liquid coolers model number is 01MN936, the front fans model number is 02CW103. The rams model number is 01AG858. The motherboard is a Lenovo board i believe its the IZ370CW/V1.0 thats what it says on the board i search it up and can not find any drivers. Please help :(

Edit: Found motherboard drivers downloading them all now.

Last edited:

Adrian62134

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I did everything you listed above (downloading new drivers and what not) still no difference in FPS on Rust neither in fortnite and still dropping a lot of frames in fortnite.

That's a 500w unit, and not a very good one. That is not suitable for an RTX 2080 OR a 9900k under boost conditions. You need a better power supply, however I cannot seem to find enough information on that unit to identify whether it is in fact an ATX form factor, or one of the smaller or proprietary form factors used by HP, Lenovo and Dell in many of their prebuilt systems. I'll have to look into it some more or maybe you can verify by looking at the decal on the unit to see if it specifies as an ATX unit.

Adrian62134

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
Nothing changed, what more can I do to attempt to fix this. I do not understand the low frames on the games either the 1050 is pulling the same FPS on the same settings as me in rust....

Adrian62134

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I believe its all games that are getting lower fps than i should be getting, but i only play Rust and Fortnite so i noticed the difference in frames before and after.

I'd say first you need a better power supply. It's hard to make much of a determination without knowing whether the graphics card is having power delivery issues that are affecting performance. I think that's highly likely or at least possible considering you have a very cheap quality Lite On PSU that is only 500w (But can probably only sustain more like 375-400w, if you are lucky) while running a card that recommends the use of a good 550w-650w power supply.

I mean, right there in the reviews on the page you linked to for your system, on the very first page, one of the three reviews comes right out and says he has similar problems and replacing the PSU solved them. I suspect your issues are the same. Get a better PSU, even if it isn't the problem, which it likely is.

Makes sense, just keep in mind, "more watts" isn't the same as "better". There are 550w Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, EVGA and a few other brands of power supply that I'd trust in a machine that really needed 600w, before MANY other units that say 700w on the label or box. The MODEL is what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.