[SOLVED] 9900K 5.2 GHZ

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
I'm following this guide and have my Aorus Master Z390 stable @ 1.452V 5.2 GHZ with a LLC of medium for a delidded CPU. It's currently set at "Normal" Vcore and Dynamic Vcore +0.020v. In the guide he said he achieved this at -0.100v. How?! What am I doing wrong?
I would really like to get the voltage down! Could someone please point me in the right direction? I followed this guide exactly. (please see other comments in article if you can, he explains how he achieved 5.2 GHZ.) I know a pretty good deal now. Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE: Link not showing anymore. Here it is again.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm stable at 5.1 ghz 1.325v fixed LLC Turbo with Gigabyte's tutorial (see above for anyone reading this). 5.0 it's 1.285v Auto LLC.
See, now that 100mhz gap makes more sense: 0.04v difference.

"I'm following this guide and have my Aorus Master Z390 stable @ 1.452V 5.2 GHZ with a LLC of medium for a delidded CPU"
^That doesn't. 0.10 difference - OUCH.

Tried to raise the llc to Extreme (also Turbo)
All this does is increase the degree of voltage over-shoot that was designed to counter the hardware level Vdroop mechanic. The higher the level, the greater the values with Offset/Adaptive settings.
You're just cranking needlessly more heat into the cpu. At the same time, the extreme voltage over-shoot is the reason why...

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
Ill come back to this thread in a little when I get my direct to die frame shipment. Post what I find out about this whole thing. Still, kind of happy about 5.2 being "stable". Get that avx offset of 1 going with it maybe, probably not.

Hi Phaze, one question...What exactly is the override mode? I have an override mode in my Gigabyte Z490 motherboard but am totally confused as to how to use it...Do I just put the vcore value i want and it will go to that limit? Any help would be appreciated on understanding the override vcore mode..

Offset and Adaptive require more fine tuning.
Vcore override is easier to work with and removes a potential point of failure: the dynamic voltage adjustments.

With my current cpu OC'd to 4.5ghz at a fixed Vcore of 1.18, if I were to use offset or adaptive, I would need to adjust them to where they have to push a little more Vcore for the set frequency, like 1.196 or 1.212.

OMG... I linked the wrong thing in my last post - fixing that.

If you're doing this to smash benchmarks, OK. I would then take it that you already know what you're getting into squeezing that much voltage into that chip.
If this is for everyday use, then you won't have it for long...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi Phaze, one question...What exactly is the override mode? I have an override mode in my Gigabyte Z490 motherboard but am totally confused as to how to use it...Do I just put the vcore value i want and it will go to that limit? Any help would be appreciated on understanding the override vcore mode..
The supplied Vcore is constant; it just sits there - after the initial Vdroop, of course. It presents a couple of advantages:
A)it's a little easier to find a stable OC.
B)It yields slightly lower thermals at max load. My current OC of 4.5ghz at 1.18Vcore would not be stable if I were to use Offset/Adaptive; they would need a tad more Vcore for stability.

As for disadvantages, the only one that comes to mind is higher idle temps.

Reactions: vMax
Okay I get it...finally. Greatly appreciated...will test against my current fixed vcore which for 5.1GHz is 1.295v and reads in HWInfo 1.268v VROUT under load and 1.3v under the vcore reading.

Temps are actually very good under fixed but I always worry about long term use with fixed...maybe I should stop worrying...

Reactions: Phaaze88
Status
Not open for further replies.