Question 9900k Boost Clock While Gaming

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

I have a built a new computer recently, 9900k, 32gb ram and 2080 TI. I currently only have XMP I enabled and multi-core disabled. So my boost clocks go up to 4700mhz on all 8 cores (which is what I wanted).

Recently I’ve been playing Modern Warfare and Destiny 2. While playing those two games I had HWMonitor up and all 8 cores were pinned at 4700mhz. I then decided to play Sekiro, DMC 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2. With these games I noticed at times not all 8 cores would be at 4700MHz. The Mhz seemed to fluctuate randomly and only during certain times would all 8 cores go back to 4700mhz. Is this normal?

I guess my question is why does Destiny 2 and Modernware keep all 8 cores at 4700mhz no matter what but other games don’t? Is it because those two games utilize all cores available and some games don’t? I just want to see if something is wrong with my computer or if this is normal.

Thanks

09subie

Commendable
May 31, 2017
Okay so this is more of a per game basis then. Thanks for clearing that up, I just wanted to make sure everything was working correctly.

I was confused at first when I saw one game pushing the CPU to have all cores at 4.7mhz consistently while another game fluctuates and doesn't tax the cpu as much.

TRENDING THREADS