[SOLVED] 9900K Extremely Low Power Draw in HWMONITOR

bchen_16

Prominent
Jul 7, 2019
Hello,

My 9900K has a weird "issue" where hwmonitor only shows 2-3 watts of power draw at all times.

I've done Cinebench R15, Adobe video renders and gaming, and the wattage basically doesn't change.

It happens in both HWinfo and HWmonitor and I've tried reinstalling both which didn't work.

The issue started happening recently but can't remember a specific day or event that caused this.

My specs:

9900k @5.00 ghz all cores @1.295 volts
ROG Maximus XI Code (bios version 1502)
Corsair H150i Pro
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb @3200mhz on XMP 1

Solution
I did update the BIOS around May 15ish.

But I defaulted the bios and rebooted and everything was fine and then reapplied my previous settings and everything was fine too even though it was the same settings, must have been a weird bios bug.

Yeah, it might be an issue with that particular version of the BIOS. I had issues with my Maximus X Hero where early versions of the BIOS did not report CPU Vcore correctly so I had to update to a newer revision to get that fixed before I could do my CPU overclock. Might be Asus broke the power draw reporting on the new BIOS you installed.
Probably a software bug or possibly a BIOS bug that is messing up with the power draw reporting. Did you update the BIOS or your monitoring utilities recently?

In any case, power draw isn't usually something you need to be monitoring consistently, if it was the CPU Vcore reading that was screwed up that might be a bit more serious.

Last edited:

bchen_16

Prominent
Jul 7, 2019

But I defaulted the bios and rebooted and everything was fine and then reapplied my previous settings and everything was fine too even though it was the same settings, must have been a weird bios bug.

Yeah, it might be an issue with that particular version of the BIOS. I had issues with my Maximus X Hero where early versions of the BIOS did not report CPU Vcore correctly so I had to update to a newer revision to get that fixed before I could do my CPU overclock. Might be Asus broke the power draw reporting on the new BIOS you installed.

Solution