9900K Gaming/Vid Editing Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hey gang,

I’m about to build a new rig and I’m going with a pretty beefy setup this time around. I’m undecided on cooling for the 9900K. I’ve gone with custom loops on my last two rigs and may do that this time around as well, but if there’s a decent AIO I can fit on the top or front the Cooler Master H500M I’d be willing to give one of those a shot. Thing is, the reviews I’ve seen haven’t been particularly encouraging. Any thoughts on cooling or the overall build? Harsh criticism welcome... I find it titillating.

Approximate Purchase Date: One/Two Weeks
Budget Range: 3500K-ish (including owned GPU)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing for personal & business (After Effects, Premiere, etc), VR, sobbing at online news (this might actually be the primary use)
Are you buying a monitor: Have Monitor
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg/Amazon/Others
Overclocking: yes
SLI or Crossfire: no
Your Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440, might do 4K in the future but I’m pretty happy with what I have now.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bLhZ7W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bLhZ7W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($497.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase H500M ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($119.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2240.32

Already own items below:
GPU: EVGA 2080Ti FTW Ultra
Additional Storage/Scratch Drives: 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB

This is a family friendly site.
Mind your language.
Lutfij

Reactions: DerCribben

Lutfij

Titan
If you're going with a single most powerful GPU, I'd shrink the system to an matx or mitx build. Might even cost the same as a full size ATX build but I prefer to not waste chassis/board's real estate when I wont have need of the PCI-E slots.

You've done custom loops prior but I think you could go with a beefy air cooler like the ones Cryorig/Noctua/Be Quiet! make. Perhaps even stick to AIO's. Your build looks fine. If the budget allows, pick a ram kit spec'd higher than 3200MHz.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
@Lutfij - You make a good point about the matx/mitx. I'll take a peek at some different mobos. As for the RAM, it was my understanding that I wouldn't see any real improvements over 3200Mhz. Am I mistaken?

@J_E_D_70 - I do not know, but I'll find out. I need the extra drive space and I'm ditching my old HDD's. I figured I'd take advantage of the newish M.2 for the faster read/write and then use my old 860's in the two remaining SATA 6's I'll have left. I am aware that I won't see any significant gains with gaming and general productivity though.

I would change a few things given the build.

I would not get a M.2 2TB NVME drive, stick with the Samsung 2TB 860 EVO. (Wouldn't go over 500GB for the main drive either)

I would go with a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W or 850W for that system personally. (Use the money saved getting the 860 EVO to cover the difference in price and have change left over)

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
@Jankerson - Thanks for the PSU suggestion. I will change that for sure.

I'm surprised at all the M.2 feedback, not that I'm saying it isn't good advice. I know the difference in read/write between M.2 NVME and Sata SSD's is marginal compared to the light years of difference between SSD's and HDD's.

There is nothing wrong with the NVME drives, it's just for the money spent the SATA SSD's are a more worth while purchase. As the main drive yes go with NVME, but for the other one not so much.

manzooka

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Thanks very much for the additional feedback. Appreciate it.

DerCribben

Reputable
Jun 18, 2019
Just for your After Effects work I would at least keep an NVMe drive in there for a dedicated Adobe cache drive, I'd also definitely recommend the 970 Pro. That dedicated cache can significantly impact your render times, as well as RAM preview/cache preview performance and having it on as fast a drive as possible is the optimal setup. Not to mention that the 970 Pros are rated for a lot more read/write cycles and that cache drive is literally just constantly reading/writing when in use.

I use an HDD for bulk slow storage, I use my next slowest drive for my OS and software (my AE project files also live here), then I have my assets and my render outputs each on their own drives (not having to read and write from/to the same drive while rendering can double your render speeds), the fastest drive I have currently is a 250GB 860 EVO and that's my dedicated Adobe cache.

I'm building a very similar build to yours right now, and when I put that together I'm even going to split my assets into their own General/Bulk assets and project specific assets drives. Worth noting that my build is going to be specifically setup as an After Effects video/motion graphics/VFX workstation so I can't say whether going that far will be of benefit to you. But I specifically chose the Z390 Aorus Master because as far as I can tell it will allow me to run three NVMe drives simultaneously. If so those are going to be Adobe cache, current project specific assets, and render output.

Status
Not open for further replies.