Question 9900k Idle temps - measurement

Molda_22

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
Hi, i've seen a lot of forum posts and videos about 9900k temps and when idle temps were discussed, nobody said at what conditions.
I've seen that lot of the times when someone reported they have 9900k idle temps around 40C, people were saying that is very high and that idle temps should be 20 or 25Celsius.
Should it be that low? And if yes - should it be that low when using full force of the fans and cpu cooler?
Because right now, with my Dark Rock Pro 4 and few silent wings 3 fans my CPU have idle temps around 38-42 Celsius, but i have my cooler and fans set on quiet or normal mode which is around 400 RPM. So i could get it lower. But i want reasonably quiet system. Will it be a problem if i would run it this way and having idle temps around 40Celsius and maximum load temps around 75-85 Celsius?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps aren't strictly important. It will always be above ambient, and the best you see will usually be some water cooled systems.

If the CPU is silent enough for you and the load temps are acceptable, it is nothing to worry about.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Who the heck told you that?
Between 20 - 30C makes sense for the temps in your ROOM(bar climate). The idle temps inside the case are almost always 10C higher.
I don't think 40C is high. I've got a thermometer in my room, it's currently reading 25C, and my 7820X's idle temps sit between 35 - 40C. NH-D15S currently sitting on it.

If you're idling around 50C... then I'd say you have a problem.
85C is getting a little toasty, but it's still fine. 90C... then you're gonna need to run the fan curve a little higher for loads.

Besides, that's(cooling performance) the sacrifice you make for silence. The opposite is true as well.

TRENDING THREADS