[SOLVED] 9900k OC and cooling

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Planning to OC my 9900k to 5gz when I get to building my new PC.

Will I need any extra fans other than the 3 that comes with the Coolermaster h500 case and Noctua NH-D15? cheers.

Solution
It makes the cpu run all cores at the max turbo frequency(5.0ghz) on predefined settings.
Pros: It's an EZ, one-click, guaranteed stable, OC.
Cons: The auto settings use more voltage than is necessary. Beware when using this one-click OC in 100% cpu workloads without the proper cooling.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It won't work out, because the apps you need to use to test the voltage stability - Cinebench R20/Aida 64/Prime95 - of the OC will thermal throttle the cpu with an NH-D15.

Without replacing the cooler, your only option is to enable the all core enhancement feature - Multicore Enhancement on Asus mobos.

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
It won't work out, because the apps you need to use to test the voltage stability - Cinebench R20/Aida 64/Prime95 - of the OC will thermal throttle the cpu with an NH-D15.

Without replacing the cooler, your only option is to enable the all core enhancement feature - Multicore Enhancement on Asus mobos.
What exactly does enabling the all core enhancement feature do?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It makes the cpu run all cores at the max turbo frequency(5.0ghz) on predefined settings.
Cons: The auto settings use more voltage than is necessary. Beware when using this one-click OC in 100% cpu workloads without the proper cooling.

Solution

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Oh! thats literally all I want to do then is to run at 5gz, so obviously its better to use them settings then? will I be able to manually bring the voltage down while keeping all the other predefined settings?

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
1)In your situation, yes, it's better than trying it manually.
2)How? In manually trying to find a lower 5.0ghz stable voltage, you'll still have to test your new settings for stability... and the NH-D15 just can't handle it.
Ah yea sorry lol im all sorts of new to PCs and PC Building etc.
Should there be a simple tutorial on youtube I could find to use the predefined settings?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Should there be a simple tutorial on youtube I could find to use the predefined settings?
There likely is, but even if you could, the cpu would still thermal throttle with your current cooler, and once that happens, frequency, voltage and power all drop.

Cinebench R20
Intel XTU for voltage monitoring
With XTU running in the background, run Cinebench R20. Once the run is done, you should see how much voltage the cpu uses, if the cpu doesn't thermal throttle first...

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
There likely is, but even if you could, the cpu would still thermal throttle with your current cooler, and once that happens, frequency, voltage and power all drop.

Cinebench R20
Intel XTU for voltage monitoring
With XTU running in the background, run Cinebench R20. Once the run is done, you should see how much voltage the cpu uses, if the cpu doesn't thermal throttle first...
No I mean for the predefined settings is there a tutorial. you said predefined settings wouldnt throttle my cooler above?

''your only option is to enable the all core enhancement feature - Multicore Enhancement on Asus mobos. ''

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
?
Better start over...
1)You want to try overclocking your 9900K to 5.0ghz. I said that you didn't have the necessary cooling to go the manual route.
2)I then suggested that you enable your motherboard's All Core Enhancement feature and call it a day. It overclocks the cpu for you, and doesn't require you to change anything else.
3)Things got sidetracked from there, it seems.

Reactions: Grayy_
Many folks have the '5 GHz or it's useless' mindset...despite the fact that the only thing that beats a stock 9900K in gaming is an overclocked 9900K...but most of those comparisons are done with 2080Ti cards that will actually allow/show a difference, and, mostly at 1080P resolution.

Even at stock (non-MCE enabled) settings, it will turbo to 4.7 GHz on all cores, which is hardly a 'I sure need more CPU!' scenario for most folks... (additionally, most folks don't have enough GPU and/or a high refresh rate monitor to effectively utilize the extra potential FPS anyway)

Additionally, although MCE will allow the BIOS to direct higher than stock all core loadings of the processor, I'm not sure merely selecting MCE-enabled also raises the core voltage enough for 'guaranteed stability'. (I suspect a corresponding core voltage bump is often requried for many 9900K models...Although many (some would say most) 9900K's make 5 GHz on all cores, it is certainly not 'guaranteed'. You can, however, specify in the BIOS or from within INtel's XTU which clock speeds are maximum at assorted core loading scenarios, perhaps reducing the all-core speeds from the default MCE-enabled goal of 5 GHz to 4.8 GHz, testing temps, trying 4.9 GHz, and seeing how your cooling solution responds. A 9700K with an NH-D15 hit ~68C at all core 4.6 GHz loadings of CPU-z/stress testing, and, as wattage starts to increase rapidly near the top clock speeds and core voltages, it would be hard to fathom the NH-D15 being enough for your goals, short of playing outdoors in 8C ambient temps. :)

Most generally accept that all-core 5 GHz action requires a healthy quality 280 mm/360 mm radiator fluid solution.....or luck...or both. (The KF-series of CPUs may run a few C cooler as well)