[SOLVED] 9900k or 10900k

Jan 2, 2021
Hello! I have a palit geforce gtx 1660 super gp oc gpu and i want to buy a new cpu. I was looking at either the intel 9900k or 10900k, will they not be too powerful for my gpu? Which one should i go for? I have 16gb of ram if it helps

Solution
From your earlier post i assumed you were in the US.

i could get an asus prime z490-p with with the 10900k cpu and cooler master hyper 212 rgb cpu fan for about 650$ or an asus z390-p with the 9900k cpu and the same cpu fan for about 550$

... but then you state

My budget will be about 600-700€

which leads me to believe you are in Europe where prices are not necessarily indicative of the below listed prices:

asus prime z490-p is under $170 (sometimes as low as $150);
Intel 10900k is $519 (can be found as low as $500); and
cooler master hyper 212 rgb cpu fan is useless for the above CPU.

For $650 this bundle is not a deal in the US (but it might be in your area), and Z390/9900k will be a step down from your...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your current motherboard and processor? Make and model of your PSU as well as it's age? If you don't intend to buy a higher end GPU later down the road, then consider getting something lower in tier, like a Core i3 or an i5. If you're looking at an AMD Ryzen processor, then a Ryzen 3 or a Ryzen 5, provided you haven't bought the motherboard yet.

Jan 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your current motherboard and processor? Make and model of your PSU as well as it's age? If you don't intend to buy a higher end GPU later down the road, then consider getting something lower in tier, like a Core i3 or an i5. If you're looking at an AMD Ryzen processor, then a Ryzen 3 or a Ryzen 5, provided you haven't bought the motherboard yet.
Currently, this is all i have-
Cpu- amd ryzen 3 3100
Mobo- msi b450 a pro max
Ram- ripjaws cl18 3600mhz 2x8gb
Psu- cooler master mwe v2 650w 80+
Gpu- palit geforce gtx 1660 super gp oc
Ssd-crucial p1 m.2 1tb

Its just that i told one of my friends what i have, and he made me this deal that i could get an asus prime z490-p with with the 10900k cpu and cooler master hyper 212 rgb cpu fan for about 650$ or an asus z390-p with the 9900k cpu and the same cpu fan for about 550$

Jan 2, 2021
Cpu- amd ryzen 3 3100
Mobo- msi b450 a pro max
Ssd-crucial p1 m.2 1tb

Its just that i told one of my friends what i have, and he made me this deal that i could get an asus prime z490-p with with the 10900k cpu and cooler master hyper 212 rgb cpu fan for about 650$ or an asus z390-p with the 9900k cpu and the same cpu fan for about 550$
Oh and everything is almost brand new. Built the pc like a month ago, so thats about how old are all the insides

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Cpu- amd ryzen 3 3100
Mobo- msi b450 a pro max
Ssd-crucial p1 m.2 1tb

With all that hardware why in the world would you be considering an Intel 9900k and 10900k processors? I would wait until you can get your hands on an AMD R7 5800x for $450 or R9 5900x for $550.

Jan 2, 2021
Getting an Intel CPU right now when you already have a B450 motherboard that you can plop a Ryzen 5000 in it doesn't make any sense.
Well, as i said, the only reason i was thinkin bout getting it is because i got a deal from my friend, which was pretty good. Ok, so what should i do? I will have money, so i will still be able to upgrade it. Oh and another reason that i want to change my cpu is because of the fan that came with it. My ryzen 3100’s amd fan that came with it sometimes acts up and doesnt want to spin. If i put it in extreme performance mode in dragon center, than it spins. If i try to put it on silent mode, it likes to sometimes even stop spinning at all or spin at like 2rpms while on red dragon it shows 0rpm, but at the same time shows that cpu fan is working 40% or so. I know i could just get an aftermarket cooler, but im just thinking of getting a better cpu and a new cooler. What should i get then? My budget will be about 600-700€

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

i could get an asus prime z490-p with with the 10900k cpu and cooler master hyper 212 rgb cpu fan for about 650$ or an asus z390-p with the 9900k cpu and the same cpu fan for about 550$

... but then you state

My budget will be about 600-700€

which leads me to believe you are in Europe where prices are not necessarily indicative of the below listed prices:

For $650 this bundle is not a deal in the US (but it might be in your area), and Z390/9900k will be a step down from your platform's capabilities.

If you absolutely have to buy one of those kits, and say you go with the z490/10900k bundle, you will still need to invest into a quality cooler to keep that oven of a processor reasonably cool. I would ask your friend to keep his CM 212, and give you $100 credit toward buying a proper cooling solution, and allow you to stay under the $700 budget

I would like to reiterate again - buying intel stuff when you already own the equipment you had listed earlier makes no sense whatsoever. For $200 Ryzen R5 3600 will come bundled with a decent cooler, and operate as a real upgrade over your R3 3100. Ryzen 5800x $450 upgrade will make your system equivalent to the 10900k without needing to rebuild the entire system, and purchasing/installing new Windows 10 license.

You should pinch yourself, and wake up from that Jedi spell your friend put on you. (Conjure up an image: with a wave of a hand, StoneyG's friend, in an unusually authoritative voice, says "YOU DON'T NEED THAT AMD STUFF" - "YOU WILL BUY ONE OF THESE INTEL BUNDLES FROM ME").

Solution
Jan 2, 2021

... but then you state

For $650 this bundle is not a deal in the US (but it might be in your area), and Z390/9900k will be a step down from your platform's capabilities.

If you absolutely have to buy one of those kits, and say you go with the z490/10900k bundle, you will still need to invest into a quality cooler to keep that oven of a processor reasonably cool. I would ask your friend to keep his CM 212, and give you $100 credit toward buying a proper cooling solution, and allow you to stay under the $700 budget

I would like to reiterate again - buying intel stuff when you already own the equipment you had listed earlier makes no sense whatsoever. For $200 Ryzen R5 3600 will come bundled with a decent cooler, and operate as a real upgrade over your R3 3100. Ryzen 5800x $450 upgrade will make your system equivalent to the 10900k without needing to rebuild the entire system, and purchasing/installing new Windows 10 license.

You should pinch yourself, and wake up from that Jedi spell your friend put on you. (Conjure up an image: with a wave of a hand, StoneyG's friend, in an unusually authoritative voice, says "YOU DON'T NEED THAT AMD STUFF" - "YOU WILL BUY ONE OF THESE INTEL BUNDLES FROM ME").
Yeah, sorry, im in europe. So basically you’re saying that i would be better off either getting a ryzen r5 3600 or a Ryzen 5800x?

Jan 2, 2021
Absolutely.
Hmm. Checking both of those out, seems that the 5800x has some temp problems. Now im looking at either the r5 3600 or r7 3700x, but the 3700x is bottlenecking my gpu quite alot. And the r7 3700x was recomended by the same friend, but i dont know how much i can trust him anymore 😂 so between those two, which one should i get? And should any of them need a more powerful gpu? The r5 3600 is producing a 6.8% bottleneck on my gpu on 1080p, about 8.8% on 1440p and bit more than 10% on 4k. The 3700x is producing even more bottleneck, at 9.5% in 1080p (calculated with pcbuilds bottleneck calc)So whats my best move here?

Too be honest I would consider going with nvidia, be sure to enable in stock notification.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-Gefo...keywords=zotac+rtx+2060&qid=1609696243&sr=8-2
Also go with the 3700x to prevent any more bottlenecks and hiccups, just a little secret: "nvidia" cards always perform much better on "amd" systems..

If you still want to go the "intel" route you can still do that if your budget allows you to within 3 month time span.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-9700K/4028vs4030

I suggest you go for the 9700k performs just as great like the 9900k counterpart but a little cheaper to depending on where you get it from/
Under 300.00 pounds or euro's you can't beat that:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80...900k&qid=1609696471&sprefix=99,aps,273&sr=8-5

Here is a motherboard to go with it, keep in mind this is something to switch to, not being forced to buy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Z...=z490&qid=1609696804&sprefix=z,aps,264&sr=8-7

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Worry a whole lot less about "bottleneck calculators".

I may have missed you saying already, what games are you playing and what resolution is your monitor?

By and large many current games are going to run fine even on a Ryzen 3. Resolution and eye candy fall more on the GPU and scale as you increase from 1080p.

What I find concerning is the mention above about your fan not consistently spinning. Are you monitoring temperatures?
I would consider fixing that forthwith. Could be cause of hitching and inconsistency right there.

In a quick look I would judge this system should be playing many newer titles at 1080/60 high settings without issue, a few things turned off. I am fairly sure it should be giving great frame rates in many of the popular competitive online titles.

I would certainly NOT upgrade that CPU for a 3600 in relation to increase in performance to cost. Wait for the 5xxx series to restock. Deal with that cooling issue.

Jan 2, 2021

I may have missed you saying already, what games are you playing and what resolution is your monitor?

By and large many current games are going to run fine even on a Ryzen 3. Resolution and eye candy fall more on the GPU and scale as you increase from 1080p.

What I find concerning is the mention above about your fan not consistently spinning. Are you monitoring temperatures?
I would consider fixing that forthwith. Could be cause of hitching and inconsistency right there.

In a quick look I would judge this system should be playing many newer titles at 1080/60 high settings without issue, a few things turned off. I am fairly sure it should be giving great frame rates in many of the popular competitive online titles.

I would certainly NOT upgrade that CPU for a 3600 in relation to increase in performance to cost. Wait for the 5xxx series to restock. Deal with that cooling issue.
Im mainly playing something like gta 5, battlefield 4, carx drift racing and some other open world games. The pc is running bf4 very smoothly on all maxed out settings, i would say about 80-100fps. But problems start appearing in open world games. Gta5 online is barely getting 60-70 fps, not max settings. Yeah, my monitor is an aoc 24inch 144hz but i think the max res for it is 1080p. With the fan, heres the thing. It does spin now, but when i put it in silent mode, at first it does what its supposed to and just spins slower, but after like 10minutes there is a chance that it will stop spinning, and i dont know why thats happening. Ive put on a rgb mode for my computer fans, that tells me when its overheating, but im also monitoring the temps. They seem to be fine when gaming and the fan spinning, i get about 60-80 degrees, sometimes i get small spikes to maybe 90 degrees, but very rarely. Usually, while gaming the temps stay between 70-75 degrees. But yeah, im really sketched out by that stock fan. I just imagine me going to sleep, forgetting to turn off the pc and the fan deciding to stop. Wouldnt be a good time huh

Jan 2, 2021
Im mainly playing something like gta 5, battlefield 4, carx drift racing and some other open world games. The pc is running bf4 very smoothly on all maxed out settings, i would say about 80-100fps. But problems start appearing in open world games. Gta5 online is barely getting 60-70 fps, not max settings. Yeah, my monitor is an aoc 24inch 144hz but i think the max res for it is 1080p. With the fan, heres the thing. It does spin now, but when i put it in silent mode, at first it does what its supposed to and just spins slower, but after like 10minutes there is a chance that it will stop spinning, and i dont know why thats happening. Ive put on a rgb mode for my computer fans, that tells me when its overheating, but im also monitoring the temps. They seem to be fine when gaming and the fan spinning, i get about 60-80 degrees, sometimes i get small spikes to maybe 90 degrees, but very rarely. Usually, while gaming the temps stay between 70-75 degrees. But yeah, im really sketched out by that stock fan. I just imagine me going to sleep, forgetting to turn off the pc and the fan deciding to stop. Wouldnt be a good time huh
Oh and also some games (open world mainly) seem to stutter once in a while, especially while moving my mouse quickly

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
The r5 3600 is producing a 6.8% bottleneck on my gpu on 1080p, about 8.8% on 1440p and bit more than 10% on 4k. The 3700x is producing even more bottleneck, at 9.5% in 1080p (calculated with pcbuilds bottleneck calc)So whats my best move here?

I wouldn't worry about those bottleneck calculators. R5 3600 is a healthy upgrade - but if you are looking for a significant upgrade, 5800x will do nicely. Keep in mind, it does not come with a cooler - so budget for that as well.

Jan 2, 2021
I wouldn't worry about those bottleneck calculators. R5 3600 is a healthy upgrade - but if you are looking for a significant upgrade, 5800x will do nicely. Keep in mind, it does not come with a cooler - so budget for that as well.
As i said, doesnt the 5800x have temp problems?

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
5800x runs warm - but I wouldn't call it a problem. The chip needs a proper cooler, that's all. Mine runs under a Kraken X73 AIO, but there are plenty traditional heatsink/fan combos that will do the job as long as there is sufficient clearance in your case.

Jan 2, 2021
5800x runs warm - but I wouldn't call it a problem. The chip needs a proper cooler, that's all. Mine runs under a Kraken X73 AIO, but there are plenty traditional heatsink/fan combos that will do the job as long as there is sufficient clearance in your case.
Hmm ok, will check it out. What do you think about the r7 3700x tho?

D

Deleted member 2838871

If you absolutely have to buy one of those kits, and say you go with the z490/10900k bundle, you will still need to invest into a quality cooler to keep that oven of a processor reasonably cool.

Yep. The 10900k can get a little warm... but it's nothing a good (360mm) AIO can't handle. :D

I had a good laugh a couple weeks ago right here on these forums... a thread where a guy posted that he had something like a 4.16% CPU bottleneck and needed to improve that number. I still chuckle just thinking about it... and the "there is no such thing as a bottleneck calculator" response he got... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

1080 should be a good spot for that rig although the "frame limit" is going to be high for AAA stuff.

I had a lot of issue with the "free" download of GTA that was offered a while back with a system far more capable (on paper). I would not particularly let that or any online based game be a benchmark on that. The internet has been a been wonky here for a bit anyway...all that voting mess in GA, may not be an issue where you are.

Without knowing more detail on the specifics behind your fan curve desires, my initial reaction would be to suggest getting a cheap air cooler like a Hyper 212/Snowman/Evermaxx something along those lines. 90C is a bit toasty. Ambient temps can play into that as well.

Jan 2, 2021
1080 should be a good spot for that rig although the "frame limit" is going to be high for AAA stuff.

I had a lot of issue with the "free" download of GTA that was offered a while back with a system far more capable (on paper). I would not particularly let that or any online based game be a benchmark on that. The internet has been a been wonky here for a bit anyway...all that voting mess in GA, may not be an issue where you are.

Without knowing more detail on the specifics behind your fan curve desires, my initial reaction would be to suggest getting a cheap air cooler like a Hyper 212/Snowman/Evermaxx something along those lines. 90C is a bit toasty. Ambient temps can play into that as well.
Heres the thing, i dont know if its worth getting an aftermarket cooler if im going to buy and install a new cpu anyways. With gta, its quite wierd. Was just playing story mode, and the story mode seems to be running smoothly, even on maxed quality settings. Only online seems to be much slower. But my internet is good, im wired ofc, and getting about 100 mb/s, so i dont think its the internet.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Heres the thing, i dont know if its worth getting an aftermarket cooler if im going to buy and install a new cpu anyways. With gta, its quite wierd. Was just playing story mode, and the story mode seems to be running smoothly, even on maxed quality settings. Only online seems to be much slower. But my internet is good, im wired ofc, and getting about 100 mb/s, so i dont think its the internet.

It's not so much a question of your own local internet as a relation to ALL the other people hitting those servers with their new gaming equipment.

A decent cooler will transfer to other CPU as well in many cases and do better than stock.