[SOLVED] 9900K or 9700K?

Kiaeneto

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
Here is the PC Part Picker. Going to just use it for video games and streaming. Already got G.Skill Trident Royal RGB memory from the previous build. Going to be the Dark mobo or the ASRock Taichi Ultimate.

Solution
For gaming and streaming paired with a 2080Ti then I’d go 9900k. The extra threads should help a little now and who knows long term. In the grand scheme of the total system cost the difference between the 9700k and 9900k is small.

Kiaeneto

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
I like the aesthetics, they have great customer support I read, amazing overclocking when I decide to custom loop it in a few months with my uncle. My last build I use a ROG Code z270 but saw that the ROGs are kinda lackluster for the z390 and have bad reviews. Input on EVGA boards?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
As for the CPU choice, you're looking at an extra $110 for only 100Mhz faster, and to get hyperthreading.

8 cores, vs 8 cores + 2 threads per core. While the extra threads CAN be nice, this doesn't perform the same as, say, a CPU with 16 threads.

When gaming + streaming, do you really need more than 8 threads?

Darth Sicaedus

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I like the aesthetics, they have great customer support I read, amazing overclocking when I decide to custom loop it in a few months with my uncle. My last build I use a ROG Code z270 but saw that the ROGs are kinda lackluster for the z390 and have bad reviews. Input on EVGA boards?

I went with the 9700K on my new build. With 8 full cores, I saw no use in HT for what I will be doing with it and mine is stable at 5.2Ghz, so I think I made a good call and got lucky with the Silicon Lottery.

EVGA does have great customer support. I ordered 2 of their 1070 Ti cards for my build recently. Both cards were DOA. Got them off of Newegg. Consecutive serial numbers too. LEDs would turn on, on both, but only one would display anything and Windows was even reporting that it was detecting issues with it. I opened tickets for each and ended having to RMA them, but it was fairly quick and simple process.

Kiaeneto

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
As for the CPU choice, you're looking at an extra $110 for only 100Mhz faster, and to get hyperthreading.

8 cores, vs 8 cores + 2 threads per core. While the extra threads CAN be nice, this doesn't perform the same as, say, a CPU with 16 threads.

When gaming + streaming, do you really need more than 8 threads?

I wouldn't think you would need more then 8 for streaming while gaming.

I went with the 9700K on my new build. With 8 full cores, I saw no use in HT for what I will be doing with it and mine is stable at 5.2Ghz, so I think I made a good call and got lucky with the Silicon Lottery.

EVGA does have great customer support. I ordered 2 of their 1070 Ti cards for my build recently. Both cards were DOA. Got them off of Newegg. Consecutive serial numbers too. LEDs would turn on, on both, but only one would display anything and Windows was even reporting that it was detecting issues with it. I opened tickets for each and ended having to RMA them, but it was fairly quick and simple process.

I currently have a 1080 ti evga and love it. No issues. Also seen a test on 9700k vs 9900k for Odyssey and that game takes advantage of hyperthreading and the 9900k was only getting on average 7 more then the 9700k at 1440p.

$499 ....for a Z390?! Not sure how/when those prices (formerly normal only on premiere HEDT offerings such X299 and X399 boards, etc., and at release) became normal, but...that is outrageous for a normal motherboard... (Heck, I can get a good Tyan or Supermicro server dual socket mainboard for socket 3649 for that

I'd put ~$320 of that money elsewhere...larger NVME drive, whatever....

An alternative mainboard for your review...