Question 9900k or 9900ks

May 27, 2019
I am building my first PC and have had eyes on the 9900k since day one. I've bought all parts and was waiting on processor for last. I literally was about to buy the 9900k today, but now I see the 9900ks is coming out. Any guesses on a realistic date of release? Also, what does that mean for 9900k prices?

On another note, would the 9900ks be just like overclocking a regular 9900k or would overclocking the new chip push be able to push even more out with similar oc temps on the 9900k?\

Sorry if these are newbie questions.

May 27, 2019
Given no pre-order dates, 'available dates' or even an asking price on the 9900KS, this hypothetical question seems largely a fun mental exercise at best...

Like choosing between a Dodge Hellcat and an unreleased Demon...

I understand it’s not released and it is somewhat hypothetical, but I figured since labeling is the same and past “special editions” of processors have been released that someone more informed than I would have some idea. As I said, I am new to all of this and am just looking for guidance on whether it might be worth the wait or not.

Thank you for any help.

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
I'm in a similar boat to the OP; buy the 9900K now, or wait for the supposed 10-core Intel chip.

Well, nothing on that 10-core part yet, but instead we have this, which looks to be a factory overclocked 9900K.

For the majority of tasks (and games) I can't imagine there'll be much of a performance gap between the two, with both operating at 5 GHz with 2 cores active, but obviously that depends on the application.

Hopefully we'll have more info by tomorrow as regards price and release date.

Unless there are serious thermal issues with the KS, the release is months away or the price a lot more than the K, I'll go with that; that said, had I already bought the 9900K I wouldn't be too disappointed. However, were it 2 cores at 5.3+ GHz (4.7+ all core) or 10-cores total, then I would be.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019
I'm in a similar boat to the OP; buy the 9900K now, or wait for the supposed 10-core Intel chip.

Well, noting on that 10-core part yet, but instead we have this, which looks to be a factory overclocked 9900K.

For the majority of tasks (and games) I can't imagine there'll be much of a performance gap between the two, with both operating at 5 GHz with 2 cores active, but obviously that depends on the application.

Hopefully we'll have more info by tomorrow as regards price and release date.

Unless there are serious thermal issues with the KS, the release is months away or the price a lot more than the K, I'll go with that; that said, had I already bought the 9900K I wouldn't be too disappointed. However, were it 2 cores at 5.3+ GHz (4.7+ all core) or 10-cores total, then I would be.
This is just the answer I was looking for. Thank you. Yea I’ve got all the components for my build minus the processor.. so I’m anxious! I will practice patience over the next couple of days and see what the word is on the 9900ks, but I don’t agree that it’s just overclocking without actually having to do it yourself..

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If you have already bought everything except for the CPU, get the 9900K now. The 9900KS is just boosting to 5.0GHz on all cores instead of only two, so if you feel the need to later, you could try to overclock your 9900K to get the exact same performance, albeit probably with a bit more heat and shorter lifespan of your components.

May 27, 2019
If you have already bought everything except for the CPU, get the 9900K now. The 9900KS is just boosting to 5.0GHz on all cores instead of only two, so if you feel the need to later, you could try to overclock your 9900K to get the exact same performance, albeit probably with a bit more heat and shorter lifespan of your components.
Thank you so much!

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
but I don’t agree that it’s just overclocking without actually having to do it yourself..

I'm no expert, but for all intents and purposes, isn't that what it is? I mean, the chip is the same right, they've just selected the best examples that can handle the higher clocks?

As I don't overclock myself and can't wait much longer before pulling the trigger on a new system, I'm pretty pleased with this announcement. It's not the 10-core part I was hoping for, but I'll take an all-core speed bump.

Should get more info tomorrow.

Looks to me like the i9-9900KS is just a better binned version of the 9900K with higher starting clock profiles.
I have seen no prices or availability.

Today, the 9900K is selling for less than the 9900KF
I don't know why, really except perhaps because the KF seems to oc better.

At this point, any 9900K version will be a beast.
You are unlikely to be able to detect any difference without a synthetic benchmark.
I say, buy whichever is cheapest and enjoy.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Actually, if you are just gaming, save a few bucks and buy a i7-9700K.

Well, nothing on that 10-core part yet, but instead we have this, which looks to be a factory overclocked 9900K.

The 9900KS is impressive from the box.....; it's what everyone hopes to get from their 9900K's but, many can't with reasonable temps.... (I, for one, do not consider 90-95C reasonable)

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Looks like a Q4 release for the KS, so October at the earliest. Must admit, I'm somewhat surprised (and disappointed) by this, I expected June or July latest.

I need to upgrade before the end of the year, so for me I don't see the wait as worth it (not that I really have the option), particularly in terms of gaming performance.

What I do find slightly odd about the Q4 release is, isn't that when the rumoured 10-core i9 (K) part is slated for launch? Assuming that correct, seems like an odd release window for the KS as at no point would it ever be king of the hill, but maybe I'm missing something.

May 27, 2019
Looks like a Q4 release for the KS, so October at the earliest. Must admit, I'm somewhat surprised (and disappointed) by this, I expected June or July latest.

I need to upgrade before the end of the year, so for me I don't see the wait as worth it (not that I really have the option), particularly in terms of gaming performance.

What I do find slightly odd about the Q4 release is, isn't that when the rumoured 10-core i9 (K) part is slated for launch? Assuming that correct, seems like an odd release window for the KS as at no point would it ever be king of the hill, but maybe I'm missing something.
Being new to all this.. it seems like intel is a little behind in pushing chips out there. I’d imagine they would have to do some price overhauls to even be in the same category as AMD on every level.. that or they are seriously making some exclusivity deals with some manufacturers. I’m going to go ahead and purchase the 9900k.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Reactions: Gee_Simpson
current 9900K is plenty fast at everything, and, many overclock to all-core turbo action (albeit with VERY good cooling) pretty close to 9900KS specs anyway...

If I needed a rig now, I sure am not waiting until Oct-Dec timeframe...

It is now June, however....it might be tempting to wait until 7 July, however, we see just how well they 3700X, 3800X and 3900X do in a variety of gaming scenarios. (However well they do, the 9900K will certainly not be 'slow' of a sudden, having been the fastest gaming CPU on the planet since October...)

Reactions: Gee_Simpson