[SOLVED] 9900k overheating without any previous issues

Breathless6237

Commendable
Sep 14, 2021
I turned my pc on today and i had to shut it down due to my cpu overheating. I have reapplied thermal paste and checked my AIO cooler is attached properly. I’m now lost as to what could be causing the issue.
My pc consists of :
I9 9900k
Rx 5600xt
Msi magcorliquid 240
ASU’s z370-p
500W - Aerocool Integrator 80+

Solution
not anymore, as I’d got rid of my old one, after a couple months of having my AIO, I got this AIO in may, should it be Broken already? Or could it be that I’m on the cusp on hitting the 500W of my PSU
It was not a good idea to do that. AIO have more points of failure, and thus are not as reliable as a good ol air cooler, so having a backup cooler is a must for these.
Sometimes stuff just happens.
You had it mounted correctly, IMO. It was working fine for a little bit - until it just didn't.

Before I write it off as dead:
-Have you tried the pump connector in a different header?
-Check the cooler backplate. It didn't come loose, did it?

Breathless6237

Commendable
Sep 14, 2021
I have attempted to put a spare cpu In, I5 8400k and even this is reaching temps of 70 degrees C with only a browser open, am I correct in saying that the AIO is the likely cause of my issue

Breathless6237

Commendable
Sep 14, 2021
No problems there then. People have been mounting this and similar units in the roof, which doesn't work, because the pump is in the radiator.

Umm, there's a sizeable difference in potential power draw between those cpus. I'm not sure that's a fair conclusion...
Do you have a spare cooler to test, as uWebb429 suggested?
not anymore, as I’d got rid of my old one, after a couple months of having my AIO, I got this AIO in may, should it be Broken already? Or could it be that I’m on the cusp on hitting the 500W of my PSU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It was not a good idea to do that. AIO have more points of failure, and thus are not as reliable as a good ol air cooler, so having a backup cooler is a must for these.
You had it mounted correctly, IMO. It was working fine for a little bit - until it just didn't.

Solution

Breathless6237

Commendable
Sep 14, 2021

I have tried a different header, not sure what you mean by pump header. Only benefit I can say is that Amazon have said they will send me a replacement, so could wait to see if that fixes the problem

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok.
Well, since Amazon's already sending you a new one, see what that does.
But I suggest getting a backup cooler - it does not have to be another AIO - if you want to stay on the AIO route.
It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN they fail.

I meant how do I check the backplate is loose, I’m guessing it would be leaking if it came loose.
No, not leaking.
When you installed the AIO, didn't you have to install a cross-shaped bracket or something behind the motherboard, which would support the mounting hardware on the other side?

Breathless6237

Commendable
Sep 14, 2021
Ok.
Well, since Amazon's already sending you a new one, see what that does.
But I suggest getting a backup cooler - it does not have to be another AIO - if you want to stay on the AIO route.
It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN they fail.

No, not leaking.
When you installed the AIO, didn't you have to install a cross-shaped bracket or something behind the motherboard, which would support the mounting hardware on the other side?
Ok thank you so much for the quick help, I’ll keep it all in mind in case the next goes wrong, would you say it is worth getting a 600W PSU instead of my 500 as I believe when I calculated the power draw it’s almost 500 if not 500W

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Quality first. Quantity takes a back seat - it also doesn't mean much of anything on it's own, as there are good and bad units regardless of what the rated wattage is.

If I remember correctly, Aerocool did a bait-n-switch; sent cherry picked versions of that unit out to reviewers. The actual retail model wasn't anything like it - it was trash.
Well, it's not the first - and certainly not the last - time that a company does that.
A good ol bookmark I saved for times like these, because I'm no psu expert: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ply-for-attached-build.3603181/#post-21736184

Breathless6237

Commendable
Sep 14, 2021
Quality first. Quantity takes a back seat - it also doesn't mean much of anything on it's own, as there are good and bad units regardless of what the rated wattage is.

If I remember correctly, Aerocool did a bait-n-switch; sent cherry picked versions of that unit out to reviewers. The actual retail model wasn't anything like it - it was trash.
Well, it's not the first - and certainly not the last - time that a company does that.
A good ol bookmark I saved for times like these, because I'm no psu expert: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ply-for-attached-build.3603181/#post-21736184
Thank you very much, I’ll have a look at that.