9900k plus 8 pin CPU connector.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
Okay, so i know the 9900k hits almost 215 watts on a 4.9 frequency. Ive seen a few people hitting 5.0 ghz with only a single 8 pin, but on paper that seems impossible to me, being that an 8 pin only supports up to 235 watts. Does anyone have one, or know for sure if it'll hit 5.0 ghz on a single 8 pin or not?

Solution
You won’t need to worry about moving that jumper on the over voltage pins unless you’re planning on trying something crazy. As others have said you’re fine with one 8 pin connector and leaving the jumper alone.
To OC the 9900k to 5GHz and over, you might need a motherboard that could support that type of power consumption (phase power delivery) and instead of 1x 8-pin, they will have 2x 8-pin ATX 12V power connectors.
You could see that on a motherboards like MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE and ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390 Gaming.

Just finished assembling my new rig last nite, and had no issues at 4.9 - need to tweak it some, airflow and voltages wise
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3823659/finished-9900k-computer-nite.html#21491534

but on my Asrock Taichi mobo there's a spare 4 pin power socket next to the 8 pin.

bPVVDKE.jpg

I called into Asrock Tech support about that 4 pin socket and was told it's there as some folks like the additional power for extreme OCing. I told the tech i was getting ready to assembly my rig with a 9900k cpu and he said unless i was planning on going LN2 and really boosting the CPU, that it wasn't necessary

and again, i saw no issues last night at 4.9 MHz, so i suspect it's not really necessary - but i ordered a custom 4 pin PSU cable just to make sure

someone else with a Z390 MSI motherboard posted asking about his board having a spare 4 pin power socket, so i suspect all the Z390 boards have one http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3822359/motherboard-cpu-connector.html

fwiw

iamacow

Admirable
You don't need the extra EPS 4pin. a Single 8pin EPS can do about 350watts before becoming an issue. If you aren't going LN2 than this is unnecessary. Mostly for marketing because the real LN2 overclockers dont even use this board lol.

People think more connectors means better power delivery. So it must be better. Not true...

On a motherboard like the ASRock Z390 Taichi, it will not make sense to use more than one ATX 12v connector.

We cannot compare the top of the line MSI Godlike Z390 MEG! 16-phase power delivery for the CPU (for extreme OCing) with ASRock Z390 Taichi power delivery( for moderate OCing).
With MSI a 2nd ATX 12v power connector might be required depending on OC level and power draw.

iamacow

Admirable
I guess all i'm saying is when motherboard have an extra 4pin, its more for show than anything else. Either go dual 8pin for the crazies and have a massive VRM or stick with a single 8EPS because even under water, you won't get cold enogh make a difference and set any records or run it 24/7 @ high voltage.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

I have an Asus prime z390 and it only has 8 pins, thats why im semi concerned.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

a single 8 pin will go over 235? I thought that was the limit? Not 350.

i'm not electrically literate enough to argue with much authority either way, i just assumed there was a point of peak efficiency on each PSU circuit as there is for the PSU's total output, ie most PSUs are engineered to operate at peak efficiency, least distortion, signal noise etc in the 50-55% range, so adding a second circuit would spread the load between the two, so to speak

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

I thought it was the cable itself, not the connection to the power supply. Or did i understand that wrong.

I took a look at your mobo's manual and there's something they're referring to as a "CPU over voltage jumper" that apparently relates to OCing

gHyzt23.jpg

LavV3sZ.jpg

i know voltage doesn't mean current, but i do know that higher voltage requires smaller guage wire (i helped a bud install a solar panel system), so could it be Asus is allowing higher voltage and then regulating it down at the CPU to increase current delivered?

i'm fairly new to OCing, so i wasn't planning to set any records - i'll be happy to render videos at 5.0 and hopefully tonite i'll make that mark. But i just checked both gigabyte and asus seem to offering the same additional 4 pin power socket on their z390 boards

iamacow

Admirable
I can safely say when trying to OC to the moon, I have never used the extra 4pin. Yes it does provided more "amps" but unless you have those Threadrippers or Skylake-X chips that use 250 watts stock, a second set won't do much.

18AWG 8-PIN ESP cable can handle 28amps @ 12v or 336 watts. Officially i think the standard is 150watts for 24-AWG wires. Thats a really cheap PSU to have 24 gauge wires...

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

The i9-9900k is like, 215 watts at 4.9. I have an RM1000i for psu if that makes a difference.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

I have no idea what this pin is, or what even to put in it. Thats way beyond my knowledge. I just want to get a 9900k to 5.0 ghz lol. I know i can adjust the voltage from the bios, but i dont know if i can get the current through this board enough to supply that voltage

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

but what would the point be of moving it?

Moving the jumper allows for a higher voltage to be selected in the BIOS.
Enter the BIOS and you will see that you will have more voltages options after moving the jumper.
Asus have been using that jumper for a while.
Make sure not to increase voltages too high without proper cooling (LN2).

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
You won’t need to worry about moving that jumper on the over voltage pins unless you’re planning on trying something crazy. As others have said you’re fine with one 8 pin connector and leaving the jumper alone.

Solution