[SOLVED] 9900k stuttering freezing and crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2018
Hello to all,

I had a stroke of luck when i was browsing my local micro center store and happened to find a 9900k. I was actually looking to finally upgrade to an 8700k since i tend to stay a gen behind but i felt i shouldnt pass this up. Since i was on a 7700k i grabbed a maximus hero XI as well.

A couple of days go by and i finally get around to install. Didnt bother doing a fresh install of windows but everything worked pretty well. Loaded up rocket league and played great for about an hour. I was video chatting with my friend on discord and the time and noticed he started freezing. Tabbed out and tried to browse for any information on this and everything slowed down and started to stutter exponetially. The mouse it still able to move the entire time but any programs are unclickable. This lasts anywhere from a couple of second to a minute.

Found out that it is good practice to re install windows with new mobo. At this point it would run well from startup but would gradually slow down and start stuttering after 15 minutes. I ended up doing a bios update and still got the same issue. I swapped my corsair vengence rgb 3200 ram out for some vengence 2400 i had lying around and nothing changed.

It seems like this would be an overheating issue but my temps are pretty solid. Im getting 36c and there are no spikes. CPU utilization hasnt gone above 30 percent. Ram stays below 50 as well. I was also thinking my m.2 with my O.S may be the problem but it checked out fine on diskmark. The problem actually seemed to go away when i switched to the integrated mobo graphics. I also checked for bent pins on the socket and reseated my graphics card. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.

CPU: 9900K
GPU: MSI 1080 TI
MOBO: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI
COOLING: Corsair H115i
Ram: Corsair vengence rgb 3200
PSU: EVGA 850

Solution
^But, that's really only if you can't figure out what's wrong before the return window is up. It could be something wrong with the motherboard, it could be something else.

Always reinstall Windows when you swap motherboards. You cannot fully diagnose your problem without a clean install of Windows along with motherboard drivers. It may seem like it works, but as you've experience it can cause unknown issues.

Nov 5, 2018
Did 2 fresh windows 10 installs and still same issue. Any other ideas? I also forgot to mention that i hear a chirp noise right before the freezing happens. It is the same as that final chirp you hear right before your pc completely shuts down.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
If the problem went away when using integrated graphics that would indicate more towards your GPU being the issue.

Maybe try re-seating it, make sure connections are all secure?

Edit: Just read that you did re-seat it, check connections? Try the GPU on another system to see if it has the same issues?

Nov 5, 2018
Im sorry but these were all pretty much idle temps with some pretty basic tasks tasks. I just switched back to integrated graphics and it working fine again. I think im going to try it in gpu slot 2 and reset bios ill keep yall updated.

Nov 5, 2018
I also found it kind of weird in the bios that it doesn't read the model of my gpu. All it says is NVidia GPU. Is that normal with ASUS bios to not display exact gpu model?

If you got the motherboard from Micro Center, maybe you can return it before the window passes. The Maximum XI Hero is a disappointing 4-phase VRM that is outperformed by basically all other motherboards in it's price range. It's got some great features, but the VRM is a bit of a ripoff if you ask me. I bought the same motherboard in preparation for buying a 9900K. Long story short I returned it for a refund and I don't have a 9900K. Went with Ryzen 7 2700X instead and saved about $300.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lAE3PgWoRc"][/video]

Nov 5, 2018
Reset bios and tried gpu in slot 2. Same results. Back on integrated graphics again and everything is fine. I have a 660ti at work that I am going to try really quick tomorrow but im just gonna return the board anyway because i'm pretty sure it is the issue. Will still keep you guys posted and I appreciate the help from you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.