[SOLVED] 9900k Temps

austinritchie8

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
I recently got a new case and had to move everything over and everything is working fine but one concern is the CPU Temp

My i9-9900k is oc to 5ghz and in my old case highest I would see it go is 69c max. In this new case while running Watch Dogs Legion to test it I was getting Temps up to 80-85c.
Any recommendations to try? My old case was the core p5 so it was open on all sides for air. Now I have the p8 which is surrounded by tempered glass so that could also be a factor maybe?

Solution
I probably do not have an offset in bios.
Well, we need to be sure - all the more reason to do so, since you're not familiar with bios. Use hwinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ (green download button)
Run the game while hwinfo(sensors only) is running in the background. The monitoring window will show you the cpu's minumum and maximum frequencies.
Once you've got confirmation of that, we can move to the cooling setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What are the odds that Watch Dogs: Legion runs the higher power consuming AVX and AVX2 instruction sets?

If that's the case, it looks like the cpu testing methods need to change, what with more titles adopting the faster instruction set.
Instead of Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX off, AVX and AVX2 need to be left on.
Asus Realbench and Cinebench R20 already apply AVX, but they're not thermal tests - they're voltage stability tests.

austinritchie8

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
What are the odds that Watch Dogs: Legion runs the higher power consuming AVX and AVX2 instruction sets?

If that's the case, it looks like the cpu testing methods need to change, what with more titles adopting the faster instruction set.
Instead of Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX off, AVX and AVX2 need to be left on.
Asus Realbench and Cinebench R20 already apply AVX, but they're not thermal tests - they're voltage stability tests.
Can you explain more? I am confused sorry.

austinritchie8

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
@austinritchie8
Sorry, I got a little carried away with that.

Do you have an AVX offset in bios? If it says Auto, that's typically zero.
If there is an AVX offset in place, have you observed your cpu downclocking to whatever the offset was set to?
I probably do not have an offset in bios. Im very new to overclocking and just watched a video on how to overclock it in my bios. I have an MSI Board

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I probably do not have an offset in bios.
Well, we need to be sure - all the more reason to do so, since you're not familiar with bios. Use hwinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ (green download button)
Run the game while hwinfo(sensors only) is running in the background. The monitoring window will show you the cpu's minumum and maximum frequencies.
Once you've got confirmation of that, we can move to the cooling setup.

Solution