9900k with Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2018
Hey all,

I'm thinking about upgrading to the new 9900k whenever they become available and I know that it should work with the motherboard I currently have my 8700k in: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard.

I am just curious if there are any downsides to using this motherboard with the 9900k vs a new motherboard that is specifically made for the 9900k. Would there be less overclocking potential? Or any other downsides?

Thanks!

Solution
All you need is the latest bios update. Your VRMs should be comparable if not exactly the same as the Z390 Strix-E. Mainly the cheaper Z370 boards needed upgraded VRMs to deal with the i9-9900K and even they would run it just not as well.
All you need is the latest bios update. Your VRMs should be comparable if not exactly the same as the Z390 Strix-E. Mainly the cheaper Z370 boards needed upgraded VRMs to deal with the i9-9900K and even they would run it just not as well.

Solution
Oct 7, 2018

OK cool. So my motherboard should be fine since it's not one of the cheaper Z370 boards, correct?

Your board has a strong VRM. The only changes I see are 2 additional rear USB, a heatsink for both m.2 slots and a small fan to blow air over the VRM. As long as you have good case airflow, the features are all negligible IMO. There's no performance improvement in changing boards.

Oct 10, 2018

There's a few people who suggest that exact motherboard for the 9900k, so there's no problem with it if you're on the edge about buying the 9900k due to your motherboard.

All you have to do is update the bios and you should be good to go.

I'm actually glad intel decided to do this instead of forcing people to upgrade to the newest Z390's

Status
Not open for further replies.