[SOLVED] 9900KS temps and voltage jumping around

kaarelkostabi

Commendable
Jun 1, 2018
I haven't done any overclocking in BIOS, it's all out of box. MB is Aorus Master. I've googled it and found a thread that said about power plan, that's why i'm showing it in the video. Balanced makes the jumpings even worse. In another thread it said it's normal, is it really ? Looks weird.
It's always on 5ghz and i'm using high performance plan, should i change it to balanced as im not gaming or doing something that needs more power ? Atleast i havent heard about it...
It's not the coolers seating. Was the same with a waterblock and now with the monoblock.

Forgot the video :'D
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVxvU0J-YNg

Last edited:
Solution
That looks normal to me. Especially considering Ryzen processors do that all the time. As long as the processor is operating within the expected temperatures with whatever cooler you have and the voltages are not constantly exceeding 1.45V (I think 1.5V is the absolute highest), then it's fine.

Power management just seems to have gotten more aggressive over the years.
Balanced normally works fine, which lets the processor idle/loaf around at 800-1500 MHz when surfing/watching Youtube, and then ramp up to full speed under a load...

(core voltage would normally fluctuate with clock speed/core voltage, jumping from .725V or so to 1.25-1.30V, depending on mainboard BIOS version , etc...; KS processors might have needed a tad more voltage to hit 5 GHz all-core speeds...)

Last edited:

kaarelkostabi

Commendable
Jun 1, 2018
Oh, i forgot the video. Mdd got the voltages right and it's on the balanced power plan and on idle.
My PSU is Super Flower 850W Leadex, 80Plus Gold .
It just looks odd even if it's safe, you know. Before Z390 i had X99 with the same watercooler. Don't know about voltage but the temps were ok as they should be, on idle around 30C then going up on load to about 50C and stayd there or close to it, but now its changing every millisecond even on idle. Imo that's not normal. Looks like its not that bad on balanced plan.
On discord if i wanna show something live etc, atleast 1 person ask wtf is wrong with your temps, not that it's high but its jumping around like crazy.

That looks normal to me. Especially considering Ryzen processors do that all the time. As long as the processor is operating within the expected temperatures with whatever cooler you have and the voltages are not constantly exceeding 1.45V (I think 1.5V is the absolute highest), then it's fine.

Power management just seems to have gotten more aggressive over the years.

Solution