Question 9900KS will Noctua NH-U12A 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler cool it?

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
I am a noob when it comes to building my first PC and I wanted to make sure that the 9900ks will be cooled by the Noctura and if the Corsair 200R Mid tower case would fit all these PCs..PC Part builder isn't showing red flags but someone said that the Ram height might interfere with the cooler. Just wanted to make sure.

Also what is the difference between Noctura NH-U12A and the Noctura NH-D15. I need this to fit in my Mid tower case.

I am building my computer with the current setup

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spartagus423/saved/#view=cd6TCJ

Last edited:

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
I haven't decided to overclock. I am a gamer so I just usually get my computer built and play. I like the option but I am currently using a 4770k with 1070 Video card and I have been happy for the last 8 years. I don't want to go liquid cooling. I just want a quiet system that runs and is air cooling.

Isn't the Noctura DH15 cooler bigger then the u12A? I am on the fence with which mid tower case to get.

I have it under my desk on a wood shelf with open airflow in back and on sides.

These are these cases I am on the fence for.

Corsair 200R (Love the way it looks) or Antec P101 ( I don't like the angled USBs). I am just looking to keep this computer going for 10 years before I build my next one. I am mainly a gamer who likes to play games on one screen while I watch show on other screen or run streams on the side monitor.

Watch some reviews of the 9900ks with the d15. Itll run warm, but should stay under 90. The d15 is about a 250w cooler from what I've read on here. And at 5ghz the 9900k can run very close to that. That's why 360 aios are recommended. They have a cooling capacity of around 300.

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
But in all honesty I don't know what to do? I don't want water cooling.

I like the clearance for the D15. Why are they all so big? I want it to be quiet, silent, but I do want to make sure my 9900ks is cool. I keep just seeing 9900k on everything no 9900ks reviews with D15 or u12A in a mid tower.

I will be running 9900ks and 2080Ti so my clearance is important and cooling is. On the PC Part picker I put all the stuff I am thinking on using.

Why do they all have to be so damn large for cpu coolers? The hottest my 4770k with 1070 gets is 78 degrees.

The 9900ks is just a binned 9900k with a higher all core boost clock. They need to be large to better dissipate heat. The more area the better.

The d15 is top dog for air cooling. So it's the best you can do on air.

For reviews just look at the k with an all core oc of 5ghz.

Spartagus423

Reputable
Nov 29, 2019
OK so D15 is the way to go. I don't think I have ever overclocked anything because I don't see the point. I like gaming from COD, Path of Exile, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc.

So I like my computer to be fast and quiet.

Also will the d15 fit in the Corsair case and will it clear my Ram? The D15 black looks nicer but not for 20 bucks more

Last edited:
Its gonna be close. Case allows 165mm cooler clearance and the d15 is 165 at the fans. If clearance either with case or ram is an issue, try the d15s. Same cooler, but single fan. More ram clearance and 160mm, because of diff fan mounts.
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

With the d15 it may not be the quietest, because the fan will be running fairly hard to cool it. The 9900ks is a beast, and takes a great cooler to run it cool.

The noctua is definitely the way to go if you don't trust water. And looking at case specs, you could only fit a 240mm aio anyways. The d15 will be on par with most of those.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
OK so D15 is the way to go. I don't think I have ever overclocked anything because I don't see the point. I like gaming from COD, Path of Exile, Red Dead Redemption 2, etc.

So I like my computer to be fast and quiet.

Also will the d15 fit in the Corsair case and will it clear my Ram? The D15 black looks nicer but not for 20 bucks more
There's the space friendly NH-D15S: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s
-5mm shorter
-reduced finstack to allow for better compatibility with tall ram
-the asymmetrical heatsink design also allows for better compatibility with motherboards: the regular D15 blocks the top PCIE slot on some boards
-cools just as well as the original

It's not yet available in Chromax Black though.
Why are they all so big?
Simple physics. For air coolers, the bigger the heatsink, the better the cooling ability. Same deal with liquid cooling, but with the radiator size.

All that said, if you want the system to stay as quiet as possible, I would change a couple of things...
1st idea: I already saw that you were against liquid cooling, but that hands down would lead to the most silent setup, especially if you don't intend to overclock.
A full custom loop, if not that - then a 360mm AIO on the cpu, and a Kraken G12 + Kraken X52/62/72 on the gpu, or one of the premade liquid cooled gpus. Run low fan profiles.
Also, get a case that can accommodate larger AIOs.

2nd idea: the gpu is the loudest device in the PC. Invest in a case that allows for better gpu thermals - or better thermals overall. The easier it is for your hardware to 'breathe', the quieter it's going to be overall.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8rGgYrRZY

Before all that, at least change either the gpu or the monitor, because 2080Ti + 1080p monitor is a bloody terrible idea.
Too many that have already done this have complained about poor fps(considering the hardware) and low gpu usage... then there's those madmen that get it and jack up the resolution scaling... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
There's the space friendly NH-D15S: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s
-5mm shorter
-reduced finstack to allow for better compatibility with tall ram
-the asymmetrical heatsink design also allows for better compatibility with motherboards: the regular D15 blocks the top PCIE slot on some boards
-cools just as well as the original

It's not yet available in Chromax Black though.

Simple physics. For air coolers, the bigger the heatsink, the better the cooling ability. Same deal with liquid cooling, but with the radiator size.

All that said, if you want the system to stay as quiet as possible, I would change a couple of things...
1st idea: I already saw that you were against liquid cooling, but that hands down would lead to the most silent setup, especially if you don't intend to overclock.
A full custom loop, if not that - then a 360mm AIO on the cpu, and a Kraken G12 + Kraken X52/62/72 on the gpu, or one of the premade liquid cooled gpus. Run low fan profiles.
Also, get a case that can accommodate larger AIOs.

2nd idea: the gpu is the loudest device in the PC. Invest in a case that allows for better gpu thermals - or better thermals overall. The easier it is for your hardware to 'breathe', the quieter it's going to be overall.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8rGgYrRZY

Before all that, at least change either the gpu or the monitor, because 2080Ti + 1080p monitor is a bloody terrible idea.
Too many that have already done this have complained about poor fps(considering the hardware) and low gpu usage... then there's those madmen that get it and jack up the resolution scaling... :rolleyes:
You explained that much better than I did!

If he sticks with the 200r, 240mm is the largest rad supported. Which is one reason I stayed with the recommendation of the noctua. It also seems like op is very against water for some reason.

It may also be a good idea to consider a 3700/3800/3900x build. Much easier to cool than the mighty 9900ks and will be a little easier on the wallet. It will also perform fairly similar, given a higher resolution. 1440p or 4k.

I didn't even notice the monitor. Definitely a huge waste of a 2080ti for that. Go for at least 1440p if not 4k for that card. Or seriously step down on the card. A 2060s will still be overkill for 1080, as it's a entry level 1440 card. You may consider that or a 5700or 5700xt. Though I'd still get 1440p.

Reactions: Phaaze88
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Pnz6R

Here's a slightly modified list. Better video card, the xc ultra, and cheaper. Way nicer monitor for the gpu. I have this monitor and it's very good, and there's a guide on here to get great color. Similar storage options, but cheaper, still just as good. Kept your optical drive, been a while since I've seen those in a build, lol. I don't think w10 pro is necessarily needed for a gaming pc, so you could save a few bucks. Unless you have a specific need for pro. You could also save the money on the optical drive, again unless you have a specific need for one.

Overall this list is cheaper and will have very comparable performance. Depending on what you're coming from, you may not even notice a difference at all. Unless you're just chasing numbers. Either way you go, this will be an ultimate pc. Just don't waste it on 1080p.

The 9900KS is designed/spec'd to run at all core turbos of up to 5 GHz....; I'm not sure even the NH-D15 would handle it, so, I'd be looking for a high volume pump affair. (when in doubt, go see what Hardware Unboxed and/or Gamer's Nexus used to cool theirs effectively, and duplicate it if they were successful)

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
If you plan on any kind of overclock, I'd highly recommend a 360mm aio. Even the top air coolers are only ok at best for the 9900k and since the ks is already clocked higher, you may have issues.
9900k.jpg

9900ks.jpg

This is der8auer O.C on a Noctua NH-D15.

An NH-D15 is able to handle up to a 5ghz O.C and stable in the thermal limits "Stress Testing". You will not get anywhere near those conditions gaming. The people that say otherwise probably have no idea how to overclock and are allowing the system to assign Voltages that are way to high.