[SOLVED] 9900KS worth it at this point?

Well, got a sale around with a 18% drop on a 9900KS, bringing it cheaper than the 9900K overall, often i like my rigs to last at very least 5-7 years, my dusty 4770k running strong at 4.5ghz wont let me lie, but its old now and it is time.

considering the 10th gen is around the corner and ryzen 4 have been talked all about, what do you guys think? this upgrade is a good idea or nah, stick to the 4770k until new stuff? ive been reluctant to invest on intel lately but i already know they still didnt went 10nm with 10th gen, so my hands are tied, i assume that overly refined 14nm process earned it a bit of overclock room and that edge on single core performance, wich would be more desirable for gaming, i guess?

so , what you guys think? i'm also going for full fledged 3600mhz 2x8 corsair kits, screw that 2666 recommended intel crap.

Solution
I don't think anyone sporting a 9900KS would likely be pondering CPU/mainboard upgrades for a while afterward (hard to imagine it not being good for 3-4 years), ergo the mainboard change required to hypothetically do so would be largely irrelevant. (This October, the 8700K will be 3 years old, and, most of AMD's highly popular 3600 and 3700X are only just roughly matching it in gaming performance; I'd expect either camp to get at least 3 more years of use, frankly)
Considering the state of the virus around the world the releases of these new products are likely going to be delayed.

If you must upgrade now pricing has been dropping on cpu's in particular. Do you have a Micro Center near you?

The 9900 series are good cpu's but they run on the hot side so hard to overclock without really good water cooling. But Intel is going to change sockets again with the 10000 series. So no upgrade path for the long term.

AMD has really great cpu's now at nice price points. The next gen 4000 series will be the last cpu for the AM4 socket, so one more upgrade path if needed.

I built an AMD pc a few months ago and it's fantastic. Fastest pc I've ever used.

What resolution is your monitor? Makes a difference in hardware choices.

I don't think anyone sporting a 9900KS would likely be pondering CPU/mainboard upgrades for a while afterward (hard to imagine it not being good for 3-4 years), ergo the mainboard change required to hypothetically do so would be largely irrelevant. (This October, the 8700K will be 3 years old, and, most of AMD's highly popular 3600 and 3700X are only just roughly matching it in gaming performance; I'd expect either camp to get at least 3 more years of use, frankly)

Solution

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Go for it if it is cheaper than the i9 9900K, those CPUs will be in high demand for years to come since it is the best CPU for it's socket/chipset. Anyone with a core i5 or lower will want to buy your CPU for an unreasonable sum in a few years allowing you to upgrade again. Comet lake while it will be a nice improvement, will be the same processors with higher clocks, more cores, and higher power consumption.

Considering the state of the virus around the world the releases of these new products are likely going to be delayed.

If you must upgrade now pricing has been dropping on cpu's in particular. Do you have a Micro Center near you?

The 9900 series are good cpu's but they run on the hot side so hard to overclock without really good water cooling. But Intel is going to change sockets again with the 10000 series. So no upgrade path for the long term.

AMD has really great cpu's now at nice price points. The next gen 4000 series will be the last cpu for the AM4 socket, so one more upgrade path if needed.

I built an AMD pc a few months ago and it's fantastic. Fastest pc I've ever used.

What resolution is your monitor? Makes a difference in hardware choices.

im sticking to 1080p for a while still, but once i get my hands on a 3xxx i'll me moving to 1440p, i tested 4k, for some reason i dont like it, beautiful, yea, but idk, maybe the screen of a 32 was too big and made me use too much peripheral vision or just the sheer "smallness" of the whole thing, felt tired a bit quickly with that one

still got 12 days on that sale so yeah haha, got time to think about it, also indeed this whole virus thing made me decided to upgrade, see the 4770k is the best processor of all galaxies, almost 7 years and still running strong with a gtx 980, certainly aged well, though in my country the dollar is skyrocketing, so i'd be buying whats already in stock, im worried that prices will go up even further with this whole pandemic thing, so perhaps all of that are red warnings to upgrade now... just perhaps....

btw, if this turns out to be the deal, can you guys recommend a MOBO, im frankly outdated in chipsets regards, performance is key, i dont care about gimmicks ;)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS