[SOLVED] 9th gen bios update

Mar 23, 2020
Hi

Soon I will be making my own gaming pc and have picked out all the parts but my motherboard (gigabyte h310m s2h) may need a bios update for 9th gen support however I dont have a 8th gen cpu to do it so I was wondering if I even need one

Solution
From what I can see on the CPU support list for the motherboard, you need BIOS F12 or later, in order to use most 9th Gen CPUs.

That is one of the very latest revisions for that board (F13 is the most recent), so you need to be completely sure that BIOS revision F12 or later is installed before using whatever 9th Gen CPU you had in mind.
I suspect that it is unlikely that the MB comes with that BIOS revision installed from the factory, but I can't say that is impossible

EDIT : Sometimes computer hardware stores can assist with the BIOS update for a small fee
From what I can see on the CPU support list for the motherboard, you need BIOS F12 or later, in order to use most 9th Gen CPUs.

That is one of the very latest revisions for that board (F13 is the most recent), so you need to be completely sure that BIOS revision F12 or later is installed before using whatever 9th Gen CPU you had in mind.
I suspect that it is unlikely that the MB comes with that BIOS revision installed from the factory, but I can't say that is impossible

EDIT : Sometimes computer hardware stores can assist with the BIOS update for a small fee

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 23, 2020

So would I need a 8th gen cpu in the board if i want to update to F12?

Yes.

Some motherboards actually comes with a feature that allows for a BIOS update even without a CPU. It is usually only a feature on more expensive motherboards, and your motherboard doesn't have it.

You need a compatible CPU initially for the BIOS update, before installing the 9th Gen you intend to use.

If you haven't actually purchased a motherboard yet, I would highly recommend looking for a suitable motherboard with native support for 9th Gen.

You could also consider the possibility of having a computer store assist with the BIOS update

EDIT:
Sometimes motherboards does ship with updated BIOS revisions, but that's usually when the production run is in an early stage. But the second most recent BIOS, for a previous generation of motherboards, in my opinion I would say that is unlikely

Last edited: