Question A 560mm closed loop liquid cooler?

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Is there such a thing as a 560 mm (140mm x 4) closed-loop liquid cooler or is the largest one for the 140s the 280mm?

Thanks for info

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
360 (3x120mm) and 280 (2x140mm) are the largest I have ever seen. I don't even think they've made a 3x140mm rad for AIOs, let alone a 4x140mm.

That's getting rather excessive due to the effective cooling delta drop-off over 360mm for just a CPU. If you have issues with a 360mm AIO keeping a CPU cool, either the overclock needs to be addressed, case airflow is obstructed or the cooler itself just isn't very good.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
280mm/360mm is about as much radiator as anyone using an AIO would need. Once you get over those in size, you are really into full custom loop territory. Be like adding a 1000Hp V12 into your daily driver car, kinda pointless unless you race it.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
If I had the means to acquire that engine and could fit it into my Kia Soul I completely would do that. I have 8 3000 rpm Noctua case fan top facing in my Thermaltake Core X9 computer case so it would be pretty solid if I could ever find an 140x3 or 140x4 radiator but no worries at all. Thanks for the info!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ooo!
Ow. Just read the reviews, and you'd think they'd be better. A 360 has no worries tieing or beating that 420, and it couldn't even beat a D15 on a 7900x. The consensus being that the pump is too small for the job. It's rated at 70Liters per hour, a D5 is 1500L per hour. Paired with 1000rpm high sp fans, it's quiet, but really needs 1500-2000rpm ranges for cfm.

Somebody in the design stage seems to have dropped the ball. Somewhere.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
360 (3x120mm) and 280 (2x140mm) are the largest I have ever seen. I don't even think they've made a 3x140mm rad for AIOs, let alone a 4x140mm.

That's getting rather excessive due to the effective cooling delta drop-off over 360mm for just a CPU. If you have issues with a 360mm AIO keeping a CPU cool, either the overclock needs to be addressed, case airflow is obstructed or the cooler itself just isn't very good.

If time machines were a thing, the heat death of the universe might actually be enough to cool down an FX-9590 somehow.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
See to me, that video shows that in fact it wasn't the die size that's the issue, Jayz ran a stock 8700k. Even said, 'that's why they need to de-lid those things'. Claims of spending too much time on that project. He should have repeated it, using a de-lidded 8700k to eliminate the half-ashed job Intel did with the Tim. Probably would have seen temps far closer to 60ish than the 80ish he got.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll never get a cpu to run at anywhere close to ambient, by mechanical means. Several factors against it which can't be overcome, no matter how big or expansive the cooling. 1) temps at load are reported faster than heat can be transfered. 2) mechanical dissipation relies on ambient air temps.

You'd need a chemical process such as LN2 or peltier to create a coolant temp far enough below ambient temps that the transfer of heat from core to coolant happens faster than the temp report.

AlphaCool makes a 560mm rad called the "Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 560mm radiator", I've also found a 560mm by Black Ice called the "Black Ice Nemesis Radiator GTS 560". So they are made. But as mentioned above, it's not known if it's going to be any more efficient than 280/420mm rads.

Reactions: PCDesignerR

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
When you say sub-ambient, are you meaning you want your CPU reported die temps to be as close to ambient at full load as possible? If so, you're going to need a significant drop in coolant temps to reach that, which is going to require phase change of some sort.

Delidding is the process of removing the IHS from the CPU cores to replace the thermal compound with better compound. The IHS is then re-lidded after that unless you modify a cooler to have direct-die contact. Most people with soldered IHS do not delid due to the risk involved - you have to melt the existing solder in order to remove the IHS cap and then hope to clean up the remaining bits once it is removed...all without damaging the die and silicon underneath.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
My thinking was just that I already have 4 140s up top so why not just have a radiator that size to go with it. Plus doing a custom liquid loop scares me with how much money I have in the build. The CLC I have in there now is adequate enough without so much of a risk.