A best system for HTPC

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
hi res games like bf3 ,crysis2 will not be played but others like gta 4 kind of games will be played ..but the cpu should be capable of playing hi-def or blu ray movies without problem..

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Jsc

Here's your problem:
A gaming machine and an HTPC have much different requirements. It takes surprisingly little CPU and graphic power to put video on a screen. But if an HTPC is in the living room, you want it quiet. For a gaming machine, noise is a secondary consideration.

A dedicated HTPC is simple to build - just use an AMD Fusion CPU and motherboard. But without a discrete video card, it will be an aweful gaming machine.

I was going to build a dedicated HTPC, then I thought about what I really needed. All I really needed to do was move video from an external USB drive to a TV screen. So I bought a WD TV Live:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

WD has several models, and other companies have similar products.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
not only for watching movies but also doing some office work like worksheets and browsing internet ..for htpc which is best amd or intel
Approximate Purchase Date: a month from now

Budget Range: 520$
System Usage from Most to Least Important:moderate gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: not online shopping..

Country of Origin: india

Parts Preferences: any brand..but fan of intel
Overclocking: definitely not

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900

want the most stable budget motherboard

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

lol its hard to give you help if you dont online shop as we dont know what your local shop sells and at what price

and btw do you want a energy efficient and quiet computeer or do you want a full blown gaming computer but do mind for more power usage and noisier

Your most demanding task IS moderate gaming.
A low power dual core CPU is far more than you need for HTPC duties. Same for basic home office, internet and social media tasks.
Those jobs don't require any video card support beyond the IGP integrated graphics.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
so a processor is enough right..but it should be future proof so an i5 can be added with an h61 chipset..im confused which mobo and ram to select tell me a good highly stable h61 mobo (except asrock) and ram 1333mhz single 4gb..and tell me a cheap psu for this specs

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

lol you could probably do this(i dont know what parts you can get, so just listing approximate parts)
a i3 2100/2120
any h61 will pretty much do, make sure its a b3 stepping board and the more mainsteam brands
4gb ddr3 1333
500gb 7200rpm hdd
a hd 5670/6670/5750/5770
a corsair cx430 or a 400w plus corsair, antec (reliable brands) etc
this should be fast and be enough for most games and it is perfectly upgradeable to a sandy bridge i7 and a better gpu

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

why did you get the 2105 if your going to get discrete graphics, the better igp on the 2105 wont benefit at all and its a waste of money when you can get the 2100 cheaper and offer the same performance. though the 2105 is a good idea if you are going to use the igp tho