Question A big spark from the PC on boot

cnone87

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
A few moments ago, there was a huge spark from my PC when I tried turning it on.

It felt like the spark came from the back of the case - motherboard's ports, but hard to tell. I first suspected it could be the PSU(MAINGEAR IGNITION 1000 Watt 80 Plus Platinum). Still, even after the spark motherboard's RGB was functioning properly, alternating between colors, and the wired keyboard's lights were also still on.

My other suspicion was my ASUS mobo (ROG STRIX X670E-A) and 7900X3D combo. I updated to the 1202 BIOS yesterday and got a few hours of gaming time on the PC. Still,

I've checked both the CPU and the CPU socket; they seem fine (photos hyperlinked).

The last thing I can think of is if I had a lot of static on me.

I'm not seeing anything out of place inside the case and not smelling anything burned / funky.

Anyhow, I luckily just got a new PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA G Plus 1300 Watt 80 Plus Gold) that I was planning to use for a new system, so I can try hooking the pc to that and see if it was indeed a faulty PSU. However, I wanted to consult you and get some opinions since I'm experiencing this stuff for the first time.

Full specs:

Mobo: ASUS X670E-A ROG STRIX GAMING WIFI ATX Motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D Raphael AM5 4.4GHz 12-Core Boxed Processor

GPU: ASRock AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Taichi Overclocked Triple Fan 24GB GDDR6

PSU: MAINGEAR IGNITION 1000 Watt 80 Plus Platinum ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

Ram: G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL36 Dual Channel

Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case

Maingear ignition? Sounds like a good way to ignite your pc.

From what I can see this seems to be a microcenter house brand. I’m not sure how much I’d trust that maingear. For not much more you might have gotten a Corsair rmx. I’d suggest trying the other psu and return the main gear if possible.

Looks like this may be your power supply?

If possible, return and get something like this. I can’t tell you much about main gear, but that Corsair should be on the a rated portion of the tier list.

cnone87

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018

Looks like this may be your power supply?

If possible, return and get something like this. I can’t tell you much about main gear, but that Corsair should be on the a rated portion of the tier list.

Yes, that's the one I have.
As I mentioned, I have an EVGA SuperNOVA G Plus 1300 Watt 80 Plus Gold at home that I haven't used yet. Hopefully, it was just the PSU, and nothing else got damaged.