Question A bizarre issue involving my spare pc and a desk fan

Jul 7, 2021
Hi there

It's not a huge issue but I'm wondering why it's happening, I bought a desk fan recently, plugged into the same extention as my computer because of lack of plugs. If my computer is in sleep mode and I turn the fan on/off or turn the settings up or down the computer wakes up, I even tested it wasnt just vibration waking my mouse up by turning it on and straight back off, it still woke up the pc. It doesn't seem to be interfering with the pc if it's already on as well and the computer will stay in sleep mode until the fan has changed setting or has been turned off. When I look in powercfg -lastwake it states the following:

C:\Users\.>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_2B2C103C&REV_05\3&11583659&0&A0
Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller

I looked at the device causing it and there is no way of disabling it from waking the pc up but I have my keyboard and mouse set so they can't so my theory is the fan is somehow interfering with the power supply as all I have plugged into the computer is my MSI Vigor GK30 keyboard, MSI Clutch GM11, my Wireless headset transmitter and my rgb keyboard mat, all of which shouldn't be waking the computer up.

Specs at bottom are for my other pc, the specs for the pc i'm using are listed below:

HP 450-135na slimline computer
Intel Core i3-4170
6gb DDR3 RAM
Integrated Graphics
1tb Toshiba Hard Drive
180 W SFF Bronze internal power supply

Jul 7, 2021
Hello there!

Stupid question perhaps but... Have you tried a different extension cord ?

I do not have another lead that I can plug everything into and it's just the singular main socket accommondating the setup, providing power to the pc, 2 monitors, a playstation and a soundbar as well as the fan, I just decided to move the fan as it can get pretty annoying after a while

Reactions: RodroX
Well. I remember with my previous mouse I could wake up PC by just touching any metal part of the case. This stopped happening when I switched mouse to different model. Have no idea why and how that was happening but this shows weird things do happen.

Jul 7, 2021
Well. I remember with my previous mouse I could wake up PC by just touching any metal part of the case. This stopped happening when I switched mouse to different model. Have no idea why and how that was happening but this shows weird things do happen.
It is pretty bizarre, I can't recall my previous mouse doing stuff like this, upgraded it recently from my Logitech G203 to a MSI Clutch GM11, other than that its fine though

Nov 29, 2021
I use same gears as you. It's because the Vigor GK30.
Try this

" To make your keyboard not allow wake up the computer, please follow the steps below.

Go to Control Panel and select the View by category to "Small icons" at the top right corner.

Click on "Keyboard" and a small dialog box will appear.

Click on the "Hardware" tab and select your keyboard from the table listed and click "Properties"

Another window will open and under the "General" tab in the bottom left corner click on "Change settings"

This will open up another window and please navigate to "Power management" tab.

Please unselect "Allow this device to wake the computer"

Restart your PC. "

Credits : Ru Herath (Independent Advisor)

This works for me.