A blue thin line suddenly appears from top to bottom on the left hand side of my monitor!

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
https://postimg.org/image/uhl3tover/

I have posted the link above of the blue line which has suddenly appeared on my monitor. I haven't changed the screen resolution or any other display settings before the line started to appear.
If anybody has experienced such a thing, please suggest some ideas to make it go away. Hopefully it isn't a problem with the monitor screen itself.
Any help is seriously appreciated a lot. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have had this problem for about half an hour and it seems like it comes and goes within a short while and reappears again.

Solution

Problem could be
1. Video card or related Software
2. Cable
3. Monitor

I'd suspect the cable first. Do you have a different DVI cable or an old VGA cable lying around you can substitute for the DVI cable? If so and the problem goes away then the original DVI cable likely bad.

I'd suspect the monitor second. Do you have a second PC or Laptop or cablebox that can drive this monitor? If so then see if you can get the...

Wolfshadw

Titan
I actually had something similar happen to one of my old monitors (Viewsonic 22"). Had to send in a warranty claim for it. They said it would take up to five weeks for the repair to be completed. Damn if they didn't take every single day.

-Wolf sends

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Were they able to fix the problem?

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Then at least there's some hope for me. Thanks for sharing your experience and helping me out. :)

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

I reattached the DVI cable again but it reappeared for a while again. I have yet to try the other options you have suggested. I'll check them out too. Thanks for your suggestions!

Wolfshadw

Titan

Oh trust me, I agree with you there. I did everything Viewsonic customer support told me to try. I documented everything; took pictures, responded to e-mail suggestions, even tried a few things another tech forum suggested. Nothing helped, so Viewsonic agreed to repair it (still under warranty).

Being somewhat technical minded, I figured it was just a board replacement that might take all of about 1/2 hour to do. I figured three days to deliver to them, three days to actually get the work done (being generous) and three days to ship back to me. 10 days at the most and I'd be back on my "big screen"! Boy was I an optimistic fool!

Three days to ship to them, 35 days for them to actually fix it, and another seven days to ship it back to me.

-Wolf sends

Problem could be
1. Video card or related Software
2. Cable
3. Monitor

I'd suspect the cable first. Do you have a different DVI cable or an old VGA cable lying around you can substitute for the DVI cable? If so and the problem goes away then the original DVI cable likely bad.

I'd suspect the monitor second. Do you have a second PC or Laptop or cablebox that can drive this monitor? If so then see if you can get the line to appear. I'd personally get a second system to cause the blue line before repairing or replacing the monitor.

If the monitor seems good and the cable seems good then try to isolate the problem to video card.
See if the blue line goes away if you use
1. MB video out vs. your video card.
2. Swap in a different video card
3. Use a different output connector on the video card (maybe bad pin on output from card - if so try contact cleaner)

Good Luck.

update: (in case it's not clear, i linked what J_E_D_70 said above because this post says what he said with more words)

Solution

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll check them out.

it IS plausible or possible to be the cord. However its highly unlikely. that blue line is probably caused by a lose connection on the edge of his screen. it's a physical defect of the monitor.

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I am using a DVI-D cable to connect my GPU to my monitor. I tried connecting the DVI to my motherboard DVI port and the line still remains; I tried a VGA cable from my motherboard to my monitor and the line still remains. So this likely rules out cable and GPU defects and indicates that the monitor itself is faulty somehow right?

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I emailed the LG tech support about the problem; they sent a guy to look into it and he replaced the outermost layer and that solved the problem. Thankfully, I didn't have to RMA it so it got fixed it about 2 weeks! :)