A Brief History Of Star Trek PC Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reynar

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Uhhh...Birth of the Federation was turn-based. And glorious despite the game breaking memory leak and other bugs.

Mopar63

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Birth of the Federation was an amazing game that needs to be remade. Sadly it was never properly supported. The Star Fleet Command series will always hold a special place in my heart. I worked with Taldren as a part of the "Inner Circle" a select group of play testers that worked directly with the devs. I was also the creator and Editor and Chief of Hailing Frequencies, an SFC Fanzine. Of all the Star Fleet Commands my least favorite was SFC III, I just never felt it captured the essence of SFC.

I works on the New Worlds beta, all I can say is I am sorry. :-( I played a lot of Star Trek Online but Perfect World has pretty much ruined what started as a great Star Trek game.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Some where exceptionally good, but only similar to Star Trek - having warp, shield, photons, etc. The Cosmic Balance by SSI (1982) for example added strategy by limiting the space available by hull size. So you can have a ton of weapons, but no shields. Or Super fast but no weapons. Or good weapons & shields but no living space. Balanced, Or any combination. The paper game "Star Fleet Battles" (1979) was also excellent, but there was never a good computer game version of that.

Edit: Most licenced "Star Trek" games where made for suckers and totally SUCKED! "Starship Creator" (1998) for example was exceptionally bad (wait 2 hours to cross the map and nothing happens).
Edit again: I have no love for Star Trek online - no good reason and I can't die. Just don't like it.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
did not play a single startrek game, even tough the movies / tv series are decent,
FPS MMO would be nice I'll play that :) 20% no man sky and 80% destiny yeah that would be awesome

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
JP and some others might come down on me for this, but....

Speaking as a former TH freelance editor, there are a few reasons for the mistakes readers often find here, including those which some would deem glaringly obvious.

Firstly, there's the pay - paying someone a penny-per-word does not serve to inspire heavy investment into actually editing the body of work being presented. I used to edit Wolfgang's articles and had to force myself to stop correcting mistakes outside of roughly an hour of time invested. Otherwise, it wasn't worth the money. Remember: one-thousand words only paid ten bucks.

Secondly, editors were (and likely still are) not responsible for any fact-checking whatsoever. So, all names, places, dates, times, etc. were solely the responsibility of the author. This essentially translates into the assigned editor ignoring such things.

These first two factors form a combination that essentially turns a person with the term editor in his title into little more than a basic proofreader. As an example, Activision was misspelled as or replaced with the word Activation within one of these tiles. To me, that's a clear sign someone, either the author or editor, used auto-complete or auto-correct, respectively.

Thirdly, there was no education requirement to become a TH editor. I'm a college drop-out who never scored higher than 500 on the Verbal portion of the SAT, yet I still possess enough basic English grammar mastery to be a TH editor, to the extent that TH's former Editor-in-Chief, Chris Angelini, once asked me to share the feature story editing load. I respectfully declined.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I wish they would make an actual Star Trek Armada III (not the fan-made game). 15 years later and I still play Armada 2. With the custom made maps you can download it still plays well and is lots of fun.

VinnyML

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
They forgot one of the best and one of the first multi-player games ever built.

Netrek - www.netrek.org

Unfortunately, hasn't been updated in years...

VinnyML

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
How could they miss one of the first and IMHO one of the best multi-player games. That would be:

Netrek

You can see the details at www.netrek.org. Unfortunately, hasn't been updated in years but a phenomenal game that required teamwork to win.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary is my favorite Star Trek game. I think it was the first game I played when I got a 486 DX 33Mhz. I played it again recently running DOS in a VM. It is still fun.

I also enjoyed Starfleet Academy. Most other Trek games were bad.

Outside of the PC. Star Trek The Next Generation on SNES was pretty fun.

The best of the Star Trek ripoff game was Rescue!

notlim981

Distinguished
There's a typo on picture 22: "This game was an early attempt by Activation to take the Star Trek game franchise into an MMO format."

Wouldn't it be Activision?

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
A new Star Trek game based after the Dominion War would be awesome...or even TNG era with one of the new graphics engine would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS