Question A/C suddenly no longer blows cold air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2019
Car: 2013 Dodge Avenger

I was driving and suddenly my a/c stopped blowing cold air, and refused to do so any longer, still blows hot air.

Troubleshooting attempt/more information:

I noticed after it happened that when I got home I had low oil, fixed that and no change. Started looking online and it looks to me that my ac compressor is not engaging. Got a can of ac pro as suggested online and when I connected the gauge noticed that the pressure was already high, tried shooting some through anyways to see if it would do anything but no luck.

The cable into the compressor seems fine. I would try to jump the fuse but after trying to find the ac compressor fuse and looking online it seems my car has a TPIM or something like that so I dont have a fuse for the ac to jump.

Not sure what step to take now to continue trying to fix this issue. I dont want to take it to a mechanic because I'm not rich, but I'm willing to put in whatever work I need to.

Any advice to help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The condenser fan should also turn on when the AC is turned on. It could be many different things most common you are low on refrigerant, might want to have that checked by a professional. One thing we used to do to check compressors quick is run 12v from the battery straight into the compressor, though that might be a horrible idea on a modern car couldn't tell you if that compressor even runs on 12v. Honestly with a 2013 model year car if topping off refrigerant didn't fix it id just bring it into a mechanic, i cant seem to find any common easy to DIY fixes for ac not working on that car.

Sep 7, 2019
The condenser fan should also turn on when the AC is turned on. It could be many different things most common you are low on refrigerant, might want to have that checked by a professional. One thing we used to do to check compressors quick is run 12v from the battery straight into the compressor, though that might be a horrible idea on a modern car couldn't tell you if that compressor even runs on 12v. Honestly with a 2013 model year car if topping off refrigerant didn't fix it id just bring it into a mechanic, i cant seem to find any common easy to DIY fixes for ac not working on that car.
Well once I get a little time to set it up I'll run some speaker wire and try to run the compressor from the battery, I'll let you know what happens. Thank you.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a local shop would be able to diagnose it better and more accurately than you can. you don't have to pay them to fix it but a few bucks for an estimate so you know the problem is much better than trying to rewire it and possibly mess something up pretty bad.

a new compressor is expensive but as new as the car is, a junkyard part would likely be good enough and would work well for years to come.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
My bet is your refrigerant is out of balance, something is wrong with the A/C compressor clutch, or there is a leak. For an A/C system you have a high and low pressure. If either side is the wrong pressure, you won't have cooling. Balancing that isn't something you can do on your own as you would need a vacuum pump and a way to dispose of the refrigerant.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Just some quick questions. 1. when you checked the Pressure was the engine running and the ac controls set to the lowest it will go? You can also turn on the defroster as that will also turn on the compressor.

Okay, there will be a click when the ac clutch engages, so with the engine off, run + to the switch and see if it clicks

2. it could be the high pressure switch, Low Pressure switch or evap temp sensor. so you will need a DMM to check those to see if they are working. (check resistance).

and yes, you have TIPM (totally intergrated power module) probably on the right side of the engine, and sometimes (per forums) the relay might malfunction.

good luck

woot

Distinguished
Car: 2013 Dodge Avenger

I was driving and suddenly my a/c stopped blowing cold air, and refused to do so any longer, still blows hot air.

Troubleshooting attempt/more information:

I noticed after it happened that when I got home I had low oil, fixed that and no change. Started looking online and it looks to me that my ac compressor is not engaging. Got a can of ac pro as suggested online and when I connected the gauge noticed that the pressure was already high, tried shooting some through anyways to see if it would do anything but no luck.

The cable into the compressor seems fine. I would try to jump the fuse but after trying to find the ac compressor fuse and looking online it seems my car has a TPIM or something like that so I dont have a fuse for the ac to jump.

Not sure what step to take now to continue trying to fix this issue. I dont want to take it to a mechanic because I'm not rich, but I'm willing to put in whatever work I need to.

Any advice to help would be appreciated. Thank you.

as far as i know about A/C problems, it can stem from 4 different things, compressor failure, failure of compressor clutch, refrigirant leak, fuse problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.