Question A cable in my computer started to go on fire and my computer shut off. Now the monitor won't turn on and the Mobo has temp at 00 - how can i reset?

Jun 10, 2019
A cable in my computer started to go on fire and my computer shut off. Now, when I try to start it it seems like everything turns on fine but the Monitor never comes on and the BIOS never appears. Should I be resetting my MOBO now or something?

I'm honestly not sure what to do.

Jun 10, 2019
Thanks for the replies.

Is there any way to easily determine if the RAM / Mobo / Processor are dead?

Graphics card seems fine and the power supply.

The Mobo lights up but that probably doesn't mean it's operational. And when i turn the PC on now, it stays on but I just dont see anything on the screen - just everything inside lights up and the fans are going.

Jun 10, 2019
Specs:
PS: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan 10 Year Warranty Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

Motherboard: MSI Performance Gaming Intel X299 LGA 2066 DDR4 USB 3.1 SLI ATX Motherboard (X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC)

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX1060

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Liquid Cooling: CORSAIR H115i RGB PLATINUM AIO Liquid CPU Cooler,280mm,Dual ML140 PRO RGB PWM Fans,Intel 115x/2066,AMD AM4/TR4

Processor: Intel Core i7-7800X X-Series Processor 6 Cores up to 4.0 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA2066 X299 Series 140W

HDD: Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Hard Drive (ST2000DX002)

Jun 10, 2019
I was just saying it seemed fine cuz the graphics card was lighting up and fan was spinning but it was a false assumption.

Also, I should note that I assembled this computer just recently and this is actually the 2nd wire that has lit fire. Both were from 3 pin wires and both were attached to the motherboard at different times. The first time it happened though it didn't turn off the mobo or light up nearly as fast as this one did.

DSzymborski

Titan
That you've had two fires in one build and you're talking about connecting "some wire" suggests to me there's some serious problem with the way you're going about this. I think we need to start to go back to breadboard and trying every part and only connecting things if you understand what connections are needed and why.

it was some useless cable connected from my Mobo to my Power supply. I don't know why I ever had it plugged in in the first place. It is just a 3 pin cable.
From the power supply to the motherboard.....there are no 3-pin power connectors on that motherboard.

As a matter of fact, I know of no 3-pin power connectors that are available on the power supply leads.

There is something seriously wrong with how this system was assembled.

Jun 10, 2019
From the power supply to the motherboard.....there are no 3-pin power connectors on that motherboard.

It was an extension. I had originally thought this cable was needed to help power the liquid cooler (my first time using a liquid cooler).

View: https://imgur.com/a/OPO3cE8

^Picture of the cables. I don't know the names of them.

The PWM cable was one that came installed with the computer case and I had just plugged that directly into a 3 pin connector on the mobo.
The 2nd larger cable was attached to the mobo with the 3 pin side and then attached to cable that was on the power supply. - This was just a dumb mistake.

Edit: PWM is 4 pin. Don't judge me for that - that one died weeks ago and I wrote it off.

Nevertheless, this is a good indicator that the MB is probably at the root of your problems--at the very least.

The left-hand cable appears to be either a fan hub power supply cable, or a cooling pump power supply cable. Neither would connect between the SATA power supply connector (from the PSU) to any motherboard header.

The right-hand cable appears to be a PWM supply cable, which could connect between a motherboard PWM output header to either a cooling pump, or fan hub PWM input.

Connecting either cable between the motherboard PWM output header and any power supply output connector, would definitely destroy motherboard circuitry or PC board traces.

Last edited:
Play it safe and buy a prebuilt PC - -- - DIY doesn't seem to be one of your strong points where electrics/electronics is concerned.
Don't feel bad about buying prebuilt, building your own isn't for everyone. I often do upgrades/repairs for friends, but I won't tackle a full build from scratch.