A cheap/Budget yet efficent z3 Motherboard for an i5-8400 ?

Mar 12, 2018
Hello peeps,

I watched many video reviews about MBs and have read various threads including the current site's forums about the "best budget Motherboard for an i5-8400"

In conclusion; I am torn between buying a current cheap z370 or waiting for even cheaper models

I never like OCing that's why I chose the 8400, However I would like to keep the option available for the future should I change my mind and decide to upgrade to a K- Model.

BUT The real contributor to my decision on the motherboard is that will the cheaper model series be of the same quality of the current cheap ones, just the fact that it doesn't support overclocking?

Will it have the same many SATA and USB connections? Will it have a good lifetime expectancy (can it bear high temperatures)? and lastly will the price difference be good enough to allow me to buy ... let's say another RAM?

The cheap z370 models I'm currently considering :
MSI Z370-A PRO
ASUS PRIME Z370-P
MSI Z370 GAMING Plus
Gigabyte Z370 HD3
MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK
Asus TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING

Solution
If you aren't overclocking or doing SLI. The only items to look out for IMHO.
Does the motherboard have USB 3.1 Gen 2? The cheapest usually have just USB 3.1 Gen1.
What audio chipset is used? Decent ones use Realtek ALC1220. They also have an SPDIF port for optical audio. Cheaper ones use the ALC892 or worse yet ALC887.

This MSI Z370 SLI Plus offers
- Overclocking support if you should change your mind
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A and Type C
- Realtek ALC1220 with SPDIF
- SLI Support
- Mystic lighting support if you care about that sort of thing
- Dual Reinforced PCIe x16 slots
- Dual M.2 slots
- Lots of System fan headers
- RGB and water pump headers...
If you aren't overclocking or doing SLI. The only items to look out for IMHO.
Does the motherboard have USB 3.1 Gen 2? The cheapest usually have just USB 3.1 Gen1.
What audio chipset is used? Decent ones use Realtek ALC1220. They also have an SPDIF port for optical audio. Cheaper ones use the ALC892 or worse yet ALC887.

This MSI Z370 SLI Plus offers
- Overclocking support if you should change your mind
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A and Type C
- Realtek ALC1220 with SPDIF
- SLI Support
- Mystic lighting support if you care about that sort of thing
- Dual Reinforced PCIe x16 slots
- Dual M.2 slots
- Lots of System fan headers
- RGB and water pump headers

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144111&cm_re=alc1220_z370-_-13-144-111-_-Product

Solution
Mar 12, 2018

Thank you so much for replying. Indeed I do care about the PCI slots, the system fans and the high quality Audio.
I was just wondering why lots of people do not recommend MSI Motherboards, though they seem to have the whole package like the one you posted.

Also where can I see the supported Windows OS? I have read the specifications on the MSI site. I am only running a windows 7 and was wondering if it will be trouble installing it on that specific MB

I couldn't say why MSI isn't recommended more often. I generally stick with Gigabyte and ASUS. I don't recommend MSI nor ASRock very often. In my opinion. I think it is a perception problem. Both make high quality higher end boards. Unfortunately they also pack features into cheap boards at the cost of build quality. It seems like ASUS and Gigabyte have relatively few options in the lower end bracket and focus their efforts on the higher profit mid to high end boards. While MSI and ASRock compete heavily in the budget market. Those people who are just looking at price want as many features as possible. Buy cheap products, which have reliability issues. Which then suffer from poor customer reviews. Dinging the companies images.

As I recall, they also don't have a long history of quality. If you wanted top quality you got ASUS. If you couldn't afford ASUS you got Gigabyte. If you had a good experience. You're probably going to stick with and recommend the brand you know. In my case. I usually end up buying Gigabyte motherboards. They have all worked well. I bought a Foxconn once. It was never quite reliable. They left the DIY market.

---------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 isn't supported on Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake systems from Intel. There are hacks and workarounds to get it to work. Then further hacks to get Windows Update to work. I wouldn't count on the reliability of an OS which has to use workarounds to use drivers not designed for the OS.

It's time to upgrade to Windows 10. If you don't like the forced updates or telemetry. You can always disable them. The easy way is Group Policy in Windows 10 Pro or Registry through Home.

If you want to run Windows 7. Stick with AMD. They make drivers for Windows 7 and Ryzen. Although some patches are required to force Windows 7 to work. Given that MS won't support it.

If this is just a cost consideration and you are trying to transfer your license. Unless you have a retail license you are out of luck. OEM Windows 7 licenses are not transferable. Officially neither are OEM Windows 10. But you can register Windows 10 with your Microsoft account. Some people have had luck transferring the license this way. But it is not an option for Windows 7.

Mar 12, 2018

I have had 3 Gigabyte boards before, 2 were perfect and 1 was crap lol, but overall yes I have mostly been satisfied with any gigabyte product so far.

I have made more digging around and research and came across the 1- Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming
and 2- GigaByte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3

I think I will probably end up with the Gigabyte Aorus k3, has fair positive reviews, looks solid, has enough slots for what I need, 2x USB 3.1 Gen2, Realtek® ALC1220 codec, Multiple Temperature Sensors and Hybrid Fan Headers with FAN STOP.

It's a shame I will have to drop win 7 when I complete this new pc build :/ It feels like just yesterday when I started using it. It is very stable and user-friendly, never felt like the need to upgrade it :p

You have been a tremendous help to me :) Can't thank you enough mate.

TRENDING THREADS